Thread: Walnut/Makore/Spalted Red Sycamore - Which of these stinks ?

Walnut/Makore/Spalted Red Sycamore - Which of these stinks ?

I've got a few pcs of wood I bought recently that are inside in a part of the house that's closed off and not used in the winter. Every time I go past them on the way to the garage there's one heck of a stink emanating. I suspect it's the spalted red sycamore as that's the only one that's a new species for me. I've never noticed this from walnut or makore before but I suppose it could be specific to the board. Trying to stick my nose up to each pc can't identify which one it's coming from. My first thought was that one of the cats had snuck out there and peed, but it's not that strong ammonia smell and really seems to be coming from the wood. Does red sycamore have a rep for being stinky?
    Use the fence Luke

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    I've got a few pcs of wood I bought recently that are inside in a part of the house that's closed off and not used in the winter. Every time I go past them on the way to the garage there's one heck of a stink emanating. I suspect it's the spalted red sycamore as that's the only one that's a new species for me. I've never noticed this from walnut or makore before but I suppose it could be specific to the board. Trying to stick my nose up to each pc can't identify which one it's coming from. My first thought was that one of the cats had snuck out there and peed, but it's not that strong ammonia smell and really seems to be coming from the wood. Does red sycamore have a rep for being stinky?
    Maybe that's why they call it "sick-a-more".....
    sorry, couldn't help it... I need help, I know!!
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

I use a lot of walnut and it has a definite smell, but IMO it is a very nice smell. I'd rather smell walnut than cedar!

Since the spalting is a form of decay (fungus I believe) I'd think that is your culprit. Is the wood thoroughly dry or is it still acclimating?

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Might try some shellac

I don't know makore or sycamore, so can't help with the triage, but when you work up the offending wood, you might want to finish with shellac to seal in the smell.

I figured it out. It's the makore. Before I left for work this morning I separated the wood & put each species about 8 ft from the others. Apparently the walnut & sycamore had picked up some of the stink from the makore which was why I couldn't pin down which was the culprit. Anyway it's definitely the makore which is odd because I've got other pcs of makore which dont stink. I can just hear my mom's voice saying wash that board before you use it - you don't know where it's been.
    Use the fence Luke