Thread: Pantry Organizer & Drawer Slide Help

Pantry Organizer & Drawer Slide Help

I am in the process of building my parents some kitchen cabinets from scratch. I have all of the doors and some of the boxes done. I had a local cabinet maker order me a pantry organizer back in the beginning of January and it has yet to come in. He keeps getting the run around on it. I wanted to look online for it but I haven’t found too many and was wanting to see if anyone here could recommend any. The cabinet is 24” deep by 36” wide and has 56” of height on the inside.

I searched on here but I couldn’t find much so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have him able to order me full extension drawer slides rated at 100# for $10 a pair including the screws and brackets. Do you think that is a fair price? Also I didn’t ask the cabinet guy this but maybe someone here will know is that 100# rating at 100# for the set or for each slider?

Most of my drawers are 14” wide, but I have 4 that are 28” wide and will have some weight from pans and trays in them. As always suggestions are welcome.

check www.wwhardware.com for pantry hardware. You can also educate yourself about drawer slides there. To answer your specific questions... The 100# rating is typically for the pair of slides. $10 a pair for Accuride-type full-extension ball-bearing slides is good for name brands like Accuride or KV, but not so good for no-name brands. You can get 22" no-names at wwhardware for less than $7 if you buy 10 or more.

Thanks for the link Jamie. I liked what I see on there and forwarded it on to the boss for her approval.

I need a fair amt of drawer guides here and I was wondering where else to look online for some quality ones at a good price.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    I don't recall what brand that the guy down the street has but I don’t think that they are either. I would like to stick with the two brands that you have listed and then I know that they will work for years to come hassle free.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    A side note, do you wait for them to install the counter top before you install the full extension drawers or do you install them and then later unscrew them and reinstall them. I ask since she wants granite or corian which having a lead-time of ~4 weeks.

EDIT: I just got an e-mail from my mom 'aka the boss' and she likes this one alot since it is wood. I know she won't go for a 4 week lead time to get it. I am in this predicament because the cabinet guys dealer is giving him the run around and its been 8 weeks since I ordered it and it has yet to come in. I am patient but the time has come for me to build that side and I want it before I start cutting $60/sheet ply. Any ideas where to get wooden ones at?

I would like to get some ideas on whether wood or metal is better and lasts longer. She just wants to be able to put alot of weight on this lol... don't they all. I can't wait till this project gets finished and I have less headaches.

I am thinking of building one now and I am thinking of making 8"-10" shelves in the back fixed 36" wide and then in front making a shelf ~18" wide that slides from left to right, does anyone know where I can get this kind of hardware to make a sideways sliding shelf? I'll then make shelves for he doors and be set.....just an idea it will proab cost me the same amount and work better

/Now I see what older guys mean when they say not to get married that its all headaches. yoi yoi
    Last edited by Brian Parker; 03-31-2006 at 9:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Parker
    A side note, do you wait for them to install the counter top before you install the full extension drawers or do you install them and then later unscrew them and reinstall them.
    I install 'em in the shop. Virtually all slides intended for kitchen use have some scheme which allows the drawer to be removed without tools. Counter installers know about them, and will pull and replace any drawers which get in their way.