Thread: Run 6" to my tools or drop down to 5"

Run 6" to my tools or drop down to 5"

I am currently running all new duct to my tools for dust collection. I am using 6" metal pipe. Do i want to run 6" to my tools or drop down to 5". I have the ability to modify the exahaust ports on my tools to allow the 6" or 5".

I have a 15" planer, 8" jointer, tablesaw, bandsaw, router table. Thanks Josh

the larger pipe will have less resistance - but I don't see a problem if you are only reducing 1" in diameter.

Blog Entries
    Your 6" duct will carry 50% more air than the 5" duct if the velocity is the same. Every reduction in size is roughly equivalent to adding 10 feet of pipe to your system. If your DC has sufficient carrying capacity to move air through a 6" duct at adequate speed, then I woudl stay with the 6" all the way to the tool. If your DC doesn't have sufficient capacity you could have too low a speed in your duct work to keep larger particles suspended and you will end up with debris accumulating inside your duct work. The other factor is cost. How much more will the cost be for all 6" duct?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You want to keep the diameter as large as possible for as long as possible. If you have to do a reduction, do it as close to the machine (TS,planer,etc.) as possible. This is allows the dust collector to run at its most efficient level.

Josh,

No offense to any of the previous posters but you may want to wait for some others to chime in. Some of the information above is not correct but I am not the person to give you the correct information. In the meantime, give some more information - type of DC, length of runs tool port size, dust collection requirements, etc. so that an informed answer can be given

Good luck.

My dust collector is a delta 50-850 1 1/2hp with an 11 1/2 impeller. My longest run is about 25' with a few elbows. I am trying to use at least 2 elbows for any turns. I think i have about 3 90* turns to make. There is 4 - 6x6x6 wyes. I keep reading that reducing the size will make more resitance but where do you draw the line? I can run 6" to each tool i just have to modify exhaust ports on the machines. I am still unsure. Thanks Josh

Josh, with a 1.5hp motor and 11 1/2" impeller I don't believe that you'll be able to keep the velocity up with a 6" pipe. Anyhow, I believe the following port sizes will probably evacuate your machines fine

15" planer - 5" or 6" port, 6" would be better if you can keep the particles in suspension. If you were going larger than a 15" planer then I would recommend 6"

8" jointer - 5" port will work fine (I have a 12" jointer that a 5" port is just fine on)

tablesaw - if it's an American style saw then nothing is going to evauate it properly but you can run a 6" drop and then split to a 5" run to the machine cabinet and then another 5" run for an overarm guard/collector (this will probably be further droped to 4", 3" and maybe 2.5"). Unless your tablesaw has internal ducting to the blade most of the dust in the cabinet will just pile up in the cabinet.

bandsaw - 5" should work unless you really want to go the extra mile with a 5" cutout in the lower door and a 3"-4" drop to a hood inback and up of the blade

router table - 5". I have a modified Norm table that worked great with 4" and just dandy with 5". I run a 5" to the base cabinet and then internally I run a 2 1/2" hose to the fence from the internal baffle and there's a 2"x8" slot to the area underneath the motor.