Thread: OK, here is what I was hiding...

OK, here is what I was hiding...

I cut the flutes on two stiles very neatly on the router table. They came out as nearly perfect as anything I have done. That should have tipped me off that "great things were to come". Would you believe I glued the stiles in fine. One with short flutes up, the other down.

The next pics show my corrections. My ole Dewalt router has a tendency to create a nice bulb when I plunge it. I think alignment is different when it is free than when it is locked. At any rate, since I knew that, I couldn't just slap an edge guide on aligned with the old flutes.

I built a Bill Hylton modified frame to align with the old flutes. This allowed me to set the router depth like a fixed base and tip it down. The drill rod pieces allowed me to set the 'guide plate' on them to set the frame and align it with the flutes. I had to do little to no sanding to match up the flute cuts! Yay! Two of them out of six required slight sanding.

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good save David - keep quiet about it and nobody will know.

Nice glue-up David. What's it going to be after you've turned it?

Dave F.

Ian, that is what I was thinking. I just wanted more opinions.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Good save David - keep quiet about it and nobody will know.

Dave, I am really into flat stuff. I've always thought the "twirly guys" were sort of... twisted. Just saying it sounds twisted. About all I can say at this point is that the front piece hopes to be part of a blanket chest ala Bill Hylton style. I think all his twirls come on the end of a router bit. I don't mind spinning those.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fifield
    Nice glue-up David. What's it going to be after you've turned it?

Dave F.

Fine biz David! Yeah, the (us) turners are a bit off balance (as you get when you spin around a few times....) sometimes. Actually, your panels look great - nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished chest.

Cheers for now,
    Dave F.

Thanks for the compliment. I've been working on the lathe all day. A metal turning one that is, so maybe that is why I like flat wood better. Or maybe I just have higher resistance to temptation. At least so far... I will show some pics when I get it done. Going from up/down flutes has kind of slowed me down a bit. I think it mostly just hampered my confidence. I mean that is quite a "booboo" and then not an easy cleanup. Well, it wasn't bad really, but did cause me to think. And that is always a bit awkward for me. ...thinking, that is...

Keep the wood spinning!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fifield
    Fine biz David! Yeah, the (us) turners are a bit off balance (as you get when you spin around a few times....) sometimes. Actually, your panels look great - nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished chest.

Cheers for now,
    Dave F.