Thread: A New House-Update #42 Long-With Pix

A New House-Update #42 Long-With Pix

Saturday April 1st, 2006

No this isn't an April Fools joke. Just another update in the continuing saga of "This New House", with apologies to "This Old House".

We now have a way to get into the house without tracking the sand and mud inside. The walkway was poured Wednesday and as can be seen we ended up with two steps. They solve the problem of the slope being to great to get down to the driveway. Still a pretty nice hill that the grandkids are going to love.
    IMG_0811.jpg

Sean & Rob finished up what they could of the trim work. We were missing the toe kick for the kitchen cabinets. They left before noon and the toe kick came about 1 PM. They did get the handles on the kitchen cabinets. They look good.
    IMG_0809.jpg IMG_0806.jpg

We purchased an LCD TV for the kitchen/dining area. I couldn't stand it so I mounted the bracket and put the TV up to see how it's going to work. It will be fine. It will swivel so I can watch while cooking and then back so we can see it while we eat. I know, eating is family time, but that's usually one of the only times we can get Tama to watch the news and learn about something other than cartoons.
    IMG_0805.jpg

All the trim is around the bay window. Now it just needs to be finished. The seating area will be varnished along with the upper part. All else will be painted.
    IMG_0810.jpg

The California Closet lady came by yesterday to measure our closets. The standard that the GC uses is wire racks. UGLY!!!! Anyway, we should have the closets done by the early part of the week leading up to Easter. That will be great as we can start taking summer clothes that have been stored in the big blue container and putting them away.

It's going to be a busy week next week. Electrician will be back and install the rest of the lighting as well as the ceiling fans and finish connecting all the power. The painter will be back to fill nail holes and paint the finish coat on the trim. He'll also varnish the doors etc.

Monday we are scheduled to get the water service replaced from the well into the house. While we will have water into the house we won't have any way to distribute it until the following week.

The deck will be started, weather permitting. We're doing a composite deck 14' x 24'. Should be enough room for my BBQ. Maybe even have room for a table and chairs.

Tune in next time. Thanks for looking.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

They did a very nice job on that concrete, Karl.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looking good Karl.....and moving right along!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Karl, the cabinets are looking good

You missed your opportunity today, 4/1, to make a post of an English Tutor mansion, and label it as a minor change of plans.
    Best Regards, Ken

Egads....!!!! While I understand that many of the cabs in there could be used to store paint, stain and such, I would think keeping them closer to the finishing room would be handier! And an LCD TV while you're grabbing a quick sandwich or beer is a bit overboard, IMHO! Jeeeeezzz...What's the main EC for the shop gonna' look like??? I guess a large, widescreen flat panel is going in the main part, so you don't miss the Pack while trying to get some woodworking done, heh??? The sidewalk is nice to keep from tracking all that non-wood chip kind of dust into the shop, so good move there! I do assume you'll have a non-step access door for moving large equipment in/out, right? Doing good, my friend! Dang shop is really coming along and looks to have all the comforts of home!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

The SHOP is really looking good!!! Karl, seriously, like those cabinets (nice warm look of the wood) and great to have the concrete pad down. You are doing great. Now, you and John can go ice fishing...
    Jerry

Nice looking cabinets.
    If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.