Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meazle
    ...If you ever have doubts about a friendship ask someone to move a piano...
    Joe
    I don't have many friends...'least none I could risk/trust with that kind of effort. LOML and I did it ourselves.

It was raining on and off most of the day. In between showers we got it on the trailer, padded and wrapped with that stretch plastic. Caught a couple downpours on the way to PA. I parked under a bridge for a couple minutes but realized I couldn't tell if it was raining or not. Biggest problem moving this thing was lifting it to make the wheels go where they needed to go. Anyway, no water damage. Got to play it for my grand daughter this week end. Two more trips and the shop move will be completed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lots of time playing with our little man, Ty , and lamenting the back to back losses by our beloved Stars I did advance to the Stanley Cup Finals in my Fantasy Hockey League though!

I did remove my Ridgid sander from it's legset, rebuilt the leg configuration, installed a Herc-U-Lift, and mounted the new Jet mini-lathe to the stand. Now it glides around the shop wherever I want it too. I'll snap a photo tonight when I'm back home.

Bill and Joe, About 10 years ago, some co-workers and I started an investment club, and on the evening of our first meeting, our buddy Doug announced that the club was all a ruse to get us over to his house to help him move a piano from the neighbor's house to his house. He was joking, of course, but we did help him move the piano...and decided to name our investment club The Piano Movers Society. We all loved telling our wives that we had PMS once a month!

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Saturday started out for me laughing, as I saw some of the responses to my Kitchen Project Finished post that I'd posted late Friday night. (It was a April Fool's joke, kids.) The rest of Saturday was mostly consumed running errands with LOML, including a trip to downtown Los Angeles into the Jewelry District. Fortunately, LOML was on a mission for a single item, and once we found it we left, but man, there's a lot of bling in the area. Later, we had her brother over for dinner and a surprise gift -- a couple of collectable sword replicas from the Lord of the Rings movies. He's a complete LOTR fan, and very into collectible junk, so he was a happy camper. We also discussed a woodworking project that I'm going to be helping him with in the near future. (Helping him with really means building it for him because I don't think he's smart enough to use power tools, and regardless, he's not using mine.)

Sunday I did a lot of Susy Homemaker stuff...by the time LOML had returned from the gym, I'd vaccuumed, mopped, baked, cooked, laundered, and dish-washed about everything I could get my hands on. I keep telling LOML I'm gonna be a good wife for some lucky girl someday.

In between all this domesticity, I did the initial glue up for a pair of boxes I'm making, figured out how to attach my Jim Tolpin style aux fence to the new Incra TS setup (for the vertical sled), built a jig for doing mitered keys and dovetail keys the router table, and started putting together a router fence/vacuum port to attach the the Incra TS fence.

All in all, a pretty productive weekend, even if I did get robbed for an extra hour.

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 04-03-2006 at 4:56 PM.

We recently had a pole building put up and now we are building a small living area inside that we can live in while we build a small house next to the building. The living area will be about 450 sq.ft. A 10X16 bedroom, a 12X16 kitchen area, and a 8X12 bathroom with the washer & dryer in it.
    The walls are framed up, the electrical is roughted in, and we have started on the plumbing. Things go kind of slow when you have a bad heart but we'll get there.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Here is what took up pretty much most of my weekend. I was hawking souvenir programs at the First annual Mid-Atlantic Rod and Custom Car exposition at the Ft. Washington, PA Expo center. Pretty decent weekend. I got to chat a bit with drag racing legend “Big Daddy” Don Garlits who was making a personal appearance. Working at the show, I got to enter much earlier than the paying customers since we need to set up before the show opens each day. Don was there early and he was a pretty easy target for a conversation and was very gracious with his time.

On the way to and back from the show each day, I also got to reacquaint myself with an old friend of mine – the music of the Electric Light Orchestra. I had purchased their albums back when they were popular - before CD’s were the norm and just recently have begun to pick up their CD equivalent. Man, Jeff Lynne was a freaking musical genious!
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Saturday morning met up with fellow Creekers Cecil Arnold and Ernie Nyvall at the Houston WWing show, super nice guys. Cecil and Ernie spent the biggest part of the day trying to lure me over to the "dark side" but I was strong and resisted !! Saturday evening the LOML and I went to the Prom again had a great time as usual, its always nice to see tll the kids dressed up.

Sunday was spent working in the yard helping SHMBO clean the flower beds and putting out mulch....can't talk her into pulling out the flowers and letting grass grow up to the house, that way all I have to do is mow and trim .
    David

Let's see...spent Saturday driving all over the place, bought (with his money) my dad a new used Ranger truck, sat through three excruciating hours of a meeting so that I could spend five minutes talking to people who didn't care about a project of mine (how I got suckered into that, I don't know), and then drove some more to get home.

Sunday, I got about half-way done with the aquarium stand, which I think will look OK but I will never show up-close to another woodworker. I'm building it without any stationary tools and it shows. It will be plenty strong enough but, man, some of the joinery is ugggleee when you examine it closely.

Deja moo -- the feeling you've heard this bull before

Weekend Stuff

Saturday I finally got around to installing the riser block on my bandsaw and got a coat of poly on the new bedroom door.

Sunday I cleaned up in the shop a little and did some turning. Cleaned up outside the shop as well. Real nice day. Also worked on a new mailbox post for out front. Made it out of a PT 6x6 so maybe the snowplow won't smash it again. Moved it back from the road a bit and will have a longer arm for the box.

Had a good weekend, hope y'all did too.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Most of the weekend was spent at the hospice. My sibs and I are doing the round the clock watch. Trying to utilize a few work tools to manage or resources.
    Royce Merit stopped bye for a creeker visit.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=335763#post335763
    Clearly the highlight of the weekend.
    Thanks folks,
    Come again .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Friday evening, after a trip to the playground, we went out to a local Mexican eatery after I confirmed by phone that they also served Chicken Fingers. It was a nice meal, although it would have been better with a nice draft of Dos Equis...unfortunately, the girls are very sensitive to adults drinking alcoholic beverages. At any rate, for the last month we've been able to transition from Perkins to "real" restauants for our Friday night's out and that's a good thing.

I got in the shop for about a half hour on Saturday and only got to clean up a little and change the abrasive on the drum sander. Then I had to retire to the house due to a little, umm...behavior issue...with one of the kids after we terminated a visit to a local park early. (One of the girls kept disappearing from our view on our walk and needed to learn about safety...and listening to mama and papa)

Sunday, we attended the open house for the YMCA summer camp program that our girls will be attending this summer and had the first steaks off the outside grill of the season. I also got some needed early season gardening tasks completed, including chopping off the ornamental grasses, relocating what appears to be a cherry tree sapling and taking down some scrappy non-native maples from one area of the property. I ended the day (before cooking said steaks) by taking a walk up the hill/cliff behind the house...something I had never done in the 6 years we have lived on this property. Very kewel...and some magnificent old white oaks and other trees were wonderful to touch and enjoy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's the promised photo of the, now mobile, Jet mini Lathe. Can't wait to start making some shavings!

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks