Thread: dumb ?

dumb ?

You guys said I could ask them...

I watched Bill Grumbines video and understand why you turn green wood, but being a newbie I don't have a stock of dry materials stored in bags to use for turning other than making glue ups. Can you use already dried blocks of wood to make bowls? Reason I ask is because I saw a block of maple about 8"x 8" x 5 feet at guys shop sitting in the corner (it's been there for years he said)and wondered if that can be used after cutting into short (bowl size) lengths. Or is it that it turns harder than green wood, and not worth the trouble?

Steve,
    If I were you I wouldn't bother with that old dry piece of wood. If you would like I'll be glad to do something with it so you don't have to abuse your tools and new lathe..

As long as there isn't any heart or pith in the center you should be good to go. Also keep an eye out for cracks and checks when you are cutting up the bowl blanks.

Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Don,

Saginaw is a good deal closer to Steve's Charlotte than Alta Loma is, heck I can even drive over and save him/and or you the shipping costs.

Steve it is a little harder to turn but you can turn it to final size, sand and finish.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stoppleworth
    Don,

Saginaw is a good deal closer to Steve's Charlotte than Alta Loma is, heck I can even drive over and save him/and or you the shipping costs.

Steve it is a little harder to turn but you can turn it to final size, sand and finish.

Jim
    Jim,
    Where are you in Saginaw? I'm from Bridgeport and now live in Mason. My brother is a woodworker in Bridgeport.

Pete
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Steve, I have never turned a piece of green wood, only dry. You can turn dry wood just fine, and honestly, I doubt that you will have to sharpen your tools that much more.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Steve all of the boxes I have made have been dry wood. I have turned ash, walnut, honey locust, black locust (which is like concrete when dry), and elm with no problems. You have to take lighter cuts but other than that if it is not cracked or checked go for it. One thing with dry is you can turn it to final size, sand and finish right away. It is much easier to turn green wood by a long shot.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns
    Steve, I have never turned a piece of green wood, only dry. You can turn dry wood just fine, and honestly, I doubt that you will have to sharpen your tools that much more.
    I think you're going to change your mind on that
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan
    Jim,
    Where are you in Saginaw? I'm from Bridgeport and now live in Mason. My brother is a woodworker in Bridgeport.

Pete
    West of Bridgeport, south of the Cass River, just off Sheridan Rd.

Jim