Thread: Fantastic brush

Fantastic brush

Every now and then you run into some thing that is really really neat. Now this is not a big deal like winning the lottery, but rather a simple thing - a paint brush. Not just a pile of junk like you see at the borg, but rather a Loew-Cornell artists brush.

Several years ago, my daughter took an art course and the Dallas Community College. Part of her supplies included a 3/4" natural bristle Loew-Cornell artist brush. Some how it ended up at our house. LOML took it and used it several times and liked it, but then one day she forgot about it after using it. The paint, either acrylic or latex, made the brush hard as a board. After soaking it in dish soap water, and giving it a through cleaning, it was good as new.

Not enough you say? A couple weeks later I used it to put on some latex on a project, and I also left it dry overnight. Same routine, soak over night, and wash in dish soap.

The other day I was painting my doors for the garage cabinet I am building. I needed a small brush to get in the "raised" part of the raised panels. Out came the brush that had been through 'two wars.' I was amazed at how it put the S-W latex on the panels. I couldn't make it leave a brush mark, it was simply amazing. When I was done, I washed it out and dryed it. It is ready for the next war, errr paint job.

I wish I had a whole set of these little gems, but since they are artists brushes, you can't get them any bigger than 1". It would be so nice to have a couple 1-1/2", and 3" brushes of the same quality. From what I can find of the Loew-Cornell site, the bristles are "chungking hog bristles."

The next question is where do I find a good quality paint/varnish brush? (First thing we do is rule out anything from the borgs.) I mean a brush that, when taken care, of will last 10 or 20 years.
    Best Regards, Ken

Check out the brushes carried by Jeff Jewitt at www.homesteadfinishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene
    Check out the brushes carried by Jeff Jewitt at www.homesteadfinishing.com
    Daah, Steve. I should have thought of Jeff. It looks like he stocks some quality brushes.

Thanks
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken,
    The last few months I have finally started to take my finishing seriously. I have never used anything but the big box brushes until I ordered a pure hog bristle brush from Lee Valley. What an experience. A 2" brush was only $11.50~ 3"= $15.50. Now it is a pleasure to apply my varnishes.

Gary K.

My dad always told me to use good brushes, but It wasn't until I was 30 that I finally listened to him. You are right, a good brush is a pleasure to use - at any cost. Lars

Thanks fellas for the suggestions. I will be doing some looking now that I have some ideas of good places to try.

Happy sawdust.
    Best Regards, Ken

Thumbs up Don't get 'em mixed up PLEASE.........

In addition to purchasing good brushes and taking great care of them I also keep my brushes for dedicated purposes. Varnish only, Shellac only, Poly only, Oil stain only, Oil paint only and Latex paint only, etc. All are carefully labeled and kept in the original cardboard wrapper. AND kept away from the LOML.