Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which One Do You Like Better? (Pics)

Which One Do You Like Better? (Pics)

Hi,

My name is Matt. I'm using my Dad's account. I'm 16. I made two Shaker silverware caddies out of paduk, birdseye maple and tigerstripe maple veneer. I'm donating one to my school auction and one to my church auction. Take a look.

Which one do you like better?

One of them has the dovetails on the sides & the other on the ends.

Thanks for your input!

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt..........Welcome to the Creek! Very nice work! I like the first photo.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice work - I like the DT on the sides also.

Hello Matt and welcome to the Creek!

I'm with Ken, I like the first one too. Very nice work on both of them.

Larry

Great job on the silverware caddies. I like the third photo best. While the caddy with the dovetails on the long side is more "traditional", I think they will both do well in the auctions.

Thats real nice of you to donate your time, energy, and craftsmanship to helping others.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Hello and welcome Matt, they both look great but I also like the dovetails on the side. Dave

Hello Matt, Very nice work on both. My Personal preference, (as is usual, is opposite of the others), but I really like the one with the dovetails on the ends. They should both do well at the auctions I would think.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Mat---Great job on both of them. I suspect most of us will be more comfortable with the first one, mainly due to the fact that we are used to seeing dovetails on drawers, so this configuration looks more familiar, and therefore "correct". Dovetails are usually aligned to best resist the forces which will work against them. In this case, the primary force will be downward, so either configuration will work equally well. In otherwords, either way is technically correct, so it's just a matter of personal preference. In general, most people like seeing what they expect to see, others like to see something different form the norm. Which to do? One of the great riddles of craftmanship. Have fun, looks like you are well on your way.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Welcome to the Creek, Matt. Excellent work for anyone, especially someone your age. (Must run in the family...your dad does great work, too.) I know I sure wasn't making that nice of stuff when I was 16. Heck, I'm about three times your age and I still haven't made dovetails than nice.

My vote is for the one in the first pic. In my opinion, the contrast is more balanced in the first one as you view it from different angles. I'd be interested to hear which one the buying public likes the best. When you post to let us know how they did in the auctions, you should go ahead and set up an account of your own on Sawmill Creek (if your dad approves). That way when you post future pictures, we'll be sure to know who gets the credit.

- Vaughn

Hi Matt.

Nice work on all of them. I like the caddies in the 3rd picture, but the others are very well done.

Pleased to meet ya', and welcome to Sawmill Creek.

PS. It's ok to register as a member, we'd hate to see your pop get credit for your work.

Matt,

I like them both. Very nice work! If I just HAD to choose between them, I'd go with the one with the tails cut into the padauk. I also like the fact that you used a sliding dovetail to attach the center piece. Welcome!

Mark

nice work!

its looks like dad has taught you well, i too like them both, but tend to go with the third photo with them on the ends,,reason being that my eye would catch the dovetails easir on a table.. generally they would be in the postion i think waiting to be used.. just a explaination and you should register and have your own membership.. welcom to wwrking addiction
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Fine job on both, but I will go with the dovetails on the end.

Dang Boy, that's purty work!

As to which I like the best,............ how 'bout the third picture (both of 'em) - real toss-up, but I believe my pick would be the one with the tails in the ends. I know it ain't what the majority say, but maybe that's what appeals to me, its different.

Keep up the good work....
    Y'all have a gooden...

Welcome Matt. Nice work!!