Thread: Are these saw marks?

Are these saw marks?

I am not really sure if these are saw marks or something else. I figure I'd better ask the experts before putting a finish on. I did sand it starting with 100, moving on to 150, and then 220 grit.

Linky

They sure look like marks left from a table saw. I can see marks at two distinct angles -- one up and the other down. That is much more likely saw marks than sanding marks.

Those are saw marks. You problaby did not sand long enough with the 100 grit to remove all of the marks. Go back with the 100 until you don't see these anymore. Then hit it with the 150 and 200.

You might also consider a better blade. I use a blade that leaves no marks. Of course it could also be the tablesaw itself.

or a few good passes with a hand plane will take care of em.

Yep. Saw marks

Glad I asked. Time to do some more sanding. Would a scaper take the saw marks out? Not that I have one, but good to know.

A card scraper is ideal for removing saw marks.

Richard

Time to buy a real saw blade or align your TS.............(or do some extra sanding).............

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain
    Time to buy a real saw blade or align your TS.............(or do some extra sanding).............
    I was using the blade (Leitz) that came with my Sears saw - I heard that they are decent blades. I did check the alignment (best I know how) when I bought the saw and it was dead on. Maybe it's time to have someone more capable check the alignment.

Yup, a good card scraper would fix those up.

Before you condem your blade and saw, I know the leg is tapered on two sides. Is this a side that was cut with a taper? Sometimes your technique in cutting may cause side pressure on the piece to leave saw marks. A light pass over a jointer would remove when they happened. I don't think you have a jointer, I still have the 6" Jet if you are interested?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Before you condem your blade and saw, I know the leg is tapered on two sides. Is this a side that was cut with a taper? Sometimes your technique in cutting may cause side pressure on the piece to leave saw marks. A light pass over a jointer would remove when they happened. I don't think you have a jointer, I still have the 6" Jet if you are interested?

Richard
    Ricahrd,
    The leg is tapered on all 4 sides and I do have a Ridgid 6" jointer in the garage.

[edit]I borrowed a scraper from one of the WW club members and the saw marks came out in a few swipes. Such a simple tool, yet so effective. I need to buy one and learn how to sharpen it.[/edit]
    Last edited by Alex Berkovsky; 04-08-2006 at 11:43 AM.

Scraper

The others beat me to it. Scraper is quick and easy for this. There are plenty other good ones out there, I'm sure, but the Woodsmith scraper sharpener is a good one in my experience. Scraper is also the best I've found for burn marks (router, TS, etc). You can use it for that "wild grain" area that doesn't want to plane or joint right too. Best of luck.
    David