Thread: Need quick and dirty Bunk bed ideas

Need quick and dirty Bunk bed ideas

Not furniture grade but just basic storm shelter bunk beds. tuba four construction would be fine too. No one will see these. I am sure I could come up with a design that works but I have learned to draw on the experience of others.

We built a storm shelter in our basement to Specs by Texas Tech(??). Tonight I am dead tired and I am still awake waiting on these storms to pass. My wife is deadly afraid of storms so I stay up with her. The idea for the storm room was a place to sleep on nights like this. This is the first time we would have used it. Tonight those bunks have moved HIGH on my to do list.

Any good ideas for basic cheap but sturdy bunk beds?

Jeff,

If it were me and I was going cheap and sturdy, I'd use 4x4's for posts and 2x6's for stretchers between the posts. Then 2x4's on the flat between the 2x6 stretchers for the mattress support. It's not pretty but it would be very strong and reasonably cheap. You could do it all in 2x4's but I think that using heavier lumber will give both of you that additional sense of security for strength.

My 2 cents worth...

Larry

To add to what Larry suggested, you might look into some variation of galvanized joist hangers for a quick and dirty way to join the 2x4s and 2x6s together.

- Vaughn