Thread: New Leigh D4R owner...have several questions...

New Leigh D4R owner...have several questions...

I just bought a new D4R (I paid $357 new, is that gloatworthy) and have several (probably dumb) questions.

1) I have been making dovetails with the jig, just practicing on pine, getting the hang of the thing...will I get less chipout and/or better cuts if I buy the Whiteside bits (I am "all Whiteside all the time) or are the ones that came with it as good?

2) If I am making a dovetail chest (like this one)

is the front panel (as opposed to the two sides or back) a "pin board" or a "tail board"?

3) If I am making a bookcase, and I want to dovetail the top to the sides, is the top a "pin board" or a "tail board"?

I am sure I will have more dumb questions soon...thanks for the help.
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

You can just place sacrificial ply/mdf/wood in front and behind the work. So any tear out will happen on the sacrificial pieces not the work.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

The front is the tail board.

I usually make the longer board the tail board, since it is harder to screw it up - just cut the tails and you are done. On the pins, you need to carefully adjust the fit. You can do most of that with a practice piece, but like knowing that if I screw up real bad, I just need to start over with a shorter board.

I want to know where you got the jig for 357.00. I went to the woodworking show in Houston to buy one, Leigh did not show up.

Dwayne

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Payne
    I want to know where you got the jig for 357.00. I went to the woodworking show in Houston to buy one, Leigh did not show up.

Dwayne
    Rockler (this reply is too short?).
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ward
    Rockler (this reply is too short?).
    ROCKLER?? They actually sold something for less than list?

WOW !!

One of the bad things about this entire industry is that there is no serious competition which results in de facto price fixing.

It's as everyong has a little niche and no one is going to tread on it. ERGO: Company "A" can charge whatever it pleases because Company "B" won't directly compete and if they seem to they are also charging an arm and a leg for bloody little.

I just picked up the Leigh. I've handled the big Porter Cable and the new Akeda (I'd have bought the akeda were not for the short 12" length).

Grizzly is about the only contender for a decent machine at a decent price - and Griz ain't cheap they are merely reasonable. The rest charge way too much for what they offer.

Look at a the two big name Band Saw maker's machines. What is in them that justifies the sticker price? Nothing. Not a thing. The technology is beneath simplistic it's been around forever and it's very easy to do right. Yet the one thing they could do to make them better they won't. They leave the tables small.

Take a look at the rest of the pack. What is it with those companies that they insist on cutting corners ending up with inferior products?

Why is an Austrian or Italian saw pricing in at over $5 Grand? Is it the steller machining and superb use of modern techniology ? No not at all. ( I think it's the wage and labot costs in those countries) They do use good materials but lets face it Cast Iron is the oldest and easiest iron based technology on the planet. ANYONE can do it right. It's almost impossible to screw cast iron up. The rest is machining, bearings, and sheet metal. On the fancy sliders they have taken to Aluminum Extrusions. What is so inherrently precise about an aluminum extrusion? Nothing. Yet it's imposible to machine the bearing race mounts as they are inside the extrusion. It's just cheaper than casting and machining iron.

It's enough to make me mad enough to build a machine tool company.
    Except - I too would charge an arm and a leg.

OOPS "Answers"
    1) will I get less chipout and/or better cuts if I buy the Whiteside bits (I am "all Whiteside all the time) or are the ones that came with it as good?
    <o =""></o>
    They are probably just fine. However if you are concerned try ‘em on some scrap.

2) If I am making a dovetail chest (like this one) is the front panel (as opposed to the two sides or back) a "pin board" or a "tail board"?
    <o =""></o>
    I submit that the answer lies in whatever pleases you best.

3) If I am making a bookcase, and I want to dovetail the top to the sides, is the top a "pin board" or a "tail board"?
    <o =""></o>
    Same as #2
    Last edited by Cliff Rohrabacher; 04-10-2006 at 8:56 AM.

Mark, I suggest Whitside all the time. Anytime you can use a 1/2 inch bit, do it. If you use 1/4 inch bits, you get too much play. I have also used the 8 mm bits that are sold. If you look in a Whitside catalog, you can find the 8mm bit to marry up with the one you need. The 8mm bits work good as well. I made a chest out of dovetails, you can look it up in my threads, and the jig worked great. You will enjoy it. back up your cut with poplar, or something close, and it will stop any chipout.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Blog Entries
    Marc, congratulations on your purchase of the D4. You are going to love it. I know I love mine, though, I must admit, that it doesn't come out that often. But when it does, it certainly does the job and does it well. No regrets.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

You bought a D4? Oh Marc!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    You bought a D4? Oh Marc!
    Yes, I did. Now when you come down this way, you can show me how to use it.
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ward
    I just bought a new D4R (I paid $357 new, is that gloatworthy) and have several (probably dumb) questions.

1) I have been making dovetails with the jig, just practicing on pine, getting the hang of the thing...will I get less chipout and/or better cuts if I buy the Whiteside bits (I am "all Whiteside all the time) or are the ones that came with it as good?

2) If I am making a dovetail chest (like this one)

is the front panel (as opposed to the two sides or back) a "pin board" or a "tail board"?

I am sure I will have more dumb questions soon...thanks for the help.
    Have you seen this website? www.woodshopdemos.com and go to the dovetail jig shootout and click on Leigh's. They have a very good demonstration on the D4 not the D4R, but still helpful and answers some of the questions you have.
    Last edited by Carol Clifford; 04-16-2006 at 10:20 PM.