Thread: Kohler vs. Briggs and Stratton

Kohler vs. Briggs and Stratton

I am buying an Ariens zero clearance mower (stealth gloat ) and have the option of either a 15hp Kohler or Briggs and Stratton engine. I've never had a Kohler engine and was wondering if one was better than the other. There is a $200 additional charge for the Kohler.

The mower is only going to be used for cutting my grass and not in a commercial setting.

Thanks!

Mike

michael, when i bought the shop mower i had a choice of a 17hp kohler or a 22hp briggs for the same money.......i went kohler...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I've had both in the past but at present I am very happy with the 17 h.p. Kohler in my mower.

I vote Kohler ... unless there's a Kawasaki option.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Hey guys thanks for the response.

Any particular reason for the Kohler? I've not seem much on the web in terms of realiability issues for either one. Is this more of a Ford vs. Chevy debate?

The Kohler is a better built motor But the Briggs Intek is pretty good too and probably fine for your mower. Just change the oil and you will go a long way. Jmho
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Kohler is generally an industrial level engine. You'll see it on many job sites that have gas powered equipment like mixers, compressors, etc. They are very solid, simple and easy to repair. I've rebuilt ones that had been oil-starved and run without an air filter for months on dirt sites. You wouldn't believe what the piston and head looked like when I tore it down but the only real problem was that it was a pain to start. Once it was running it did its job even with all the damage. My choice of engines is Honda for smaller HP jobs (<10) and Kohler for bigger (>10).

I'm no expert but IMHO, Kohler is by far, a better engine and usually more $...
    Jerry

IMHO, Briggs ain't what they used to be. Kohler is a better motor.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I took everyone's advice and ordered the Kohler engine. Since I won't be in town later this week they are delivering it on Monday or Tuesday!

Here's what I got.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You will be much happier with the Kohler. AFAIK Kohlers have a cast iron block and the Briggs is aluminum with maybe a cast sleeve. Kohlers are just a better engine.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Kohler here also. Good engines.