Thread: Moving Help

Moving Help

This is REALLY off topic We are moving in a couple of weeks from St. pete Florida to Austin (Round Rock) Texas. Doing our own packing. One problem I have is that we have to large dresser mirrors that are oversized and need to be crated. I tried finding a picture or instructions for crating mirrors on the Internet, but failed. Have any of you ever done this? Of course I have the tools and equipment, but need some advice from someone experienced in crating.

Thanks
    Mike Hill
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Your best bet would be to buy a "Mirror Pack" from on of the major van lines. It's a cardboard box and frame that isolates the mirror itself in the center of a carton. They're expandable to fit just about any size mirror or large art piece. Should run less than $20 from Allied, etc. Maybe cheaper through U-Haul, or other sources.

We've got a 3' X 4' bevel-edged mirror that's been all over the country over the past 40 years, without incident. The mirror packs protect it quite well.
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 04-08-2006 at 8:31 PM.

Mike, I've moved a large 4x6 mirror for the last 5 or 6 moves. As Jim said, they used a "mirror pack" for it. It's a box with 2 sides open, the other 2 sides have corrugated "bumpers" on them. Depending on the size the mirror, they just slip 2 or 4 of the boxes together to form 1 large box. They also wrap the mirror in padded packing paper first so it fits tight into the box. Unlike them moving my tools, we've never had a problem with a mirror or our glass table being broken.

Be well,

Doc

Questions

Don and Jim. These are roughly 4X5's, but they are wood framed and I will need a box that is at least 3 or 4 inches wide. They are both attached (but can be removed) to large chest of drawers. I will do an internet search and see what I find. I am wondering why the movers said they need to be crated? WIll let you know what I find.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hill
    Don and Jim. These are roughly 4X5's, but they are wood framed and I will need a box that is at least 3 or 4 inches wide... I am wondering why the movers said they need to be crated? Mike
    When the movers say 'crated,' they're meaning that they'll 'crate' the mirror (frame and all) in a mirror pack.

The packs are big enough to allow for a pretty substantial wooden frame around the mirror. These same packs are used for transporting huge paintings and artworks, too. Beleive me, they're sturdy and durable.

Mike, like I said, our mirror is 4x6 including a 3 inch wide frame all the way around plus a pretty ornate top. It's about 3 inches thick. The attached pic is an example I found with a quick search. The box is closed on the top and left. The right and bottom are open. This allows you to "nest" boxes together (up to 4) to make a larger box. These come in several different sizes. For mirrors they also have the corrogated "bumpers" that you can put into the boxes.

Be well,

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I can't add much to the suggestions you already have except: Make sure you stand it up rather than lay it down. Glass travels better in a vertical orientation rather than horizontal. It also doesn't appreciate being bent.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute