Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which lathe would you suggest?

Which lathe would you suggest?

I have my mind set on getting into turning and was wondering about a first lathe purchase. I have taken a class and can see this really adding to my woodworking. I realize this can be a substantial investment by the time you get a lathe, tools, chucks, safety equipment, sharpening equipment, etc. etc.

My question is, which of these three routs should I go?

1. Make the plunge full bore and purchase the lathe of a lifetime, something like a Jet or PM with a 16" throw and 36-42" bed?

2. Purchase an intermediate lathe like a Jet or Delta with a 10 or 12" throw and 36" bed? This lathe may serve all of my turning needs but if it doesnt I would eventually have to sell to get up to the bigger lathe.

3. Start with a Midi or Mini lathe, get my skills down pat and then keep the midi lathe and upgrade to a large lathe later.

I guess it boils down to how much can I expect out of a mini lathe. What are the practical contraints that it imposes (how big a bowl how long a spindle, etc.) Is the mini lathe something I can or will want to keep for a lifetime or am I going to want to flip it in a year. That is what I would like to avoid.

TIA
    Jason Morgan

I'd go with option 3
    You can get the Rikon which has 12 inches over the bed for $250. If you want to turn longer pieces you can ge a bed extension for it for I think $50.

Jason.........that's a hard call! I was bombed with a Jet Mini VS and just started turning in February. I'm addicted to turning now and it is consuming all of my free time and money. I've already discussed getting another lathe with the LOML but.......a bigger one will have to wait. The lathe is really a small part of the investment as their is an unending number of tools and accessories one needs. A good lathe .....like I'd like to own in the future....willl cost $2,000-5500........A lot of money. Now, since I know I enjoy turning, I won't hesitate to make that investment and my wife won't argue. If it were me, I'd advise getting a good mini.......say a Jet or Rikon and get some cheap tools and later some good tools. The lathe is really the cheapest part of the investment. And.....You can always resell it recouping part of the cost of the lathe. Myself, I'll probably keep the Bomb (Jet Mini VS) for smaller projects and just for sentimental reasons. Nobody has ever given me anything of value before....especially a bunch of strangers from this forum.........(And they don't get any stranger than some of the sickies in this turning forum!) The tools you buy can be carried over to a new and bigger lathe. That's probably the way I'd handle it. Good luck with your decision!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'd say #3. As Don says, several of the minis have bed extensions available for longer spindles.

As far as bowl size is concerned, just how big do you want to go? Weight and cost goes up with the cube of the diameter, footprint goes up with the square: to get much past the 8" or so that's practical on a mini, you need a big lathe, which also translates to bigger everything else: materials, tools, storage etc. It all comes down to the amount of cost and space you are comfortable with.

Note: I'm speaking as a hobbyist (and a newbie hobbyist at that). If you're considering doing this in any commercial way, all bets are off.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Jason that is a hard call. Here is my experience as a new turner of 4 months. I wish now I would have started with the lathe of my choice and got the big one. My reasoning is you can do "small" on a big lathe but you can't do "big" on a small lathe. So as you progress you are probably going to want to upgrade as I and several others on here have done. Speaking from experience I got the small Delta LA200 midi and in 4 months have already spent the extra money going bigger. I have turned and will be turning more of the 14" to 16" bowls and platters. As the rest have said you could start small and keep it when you get a bigger one to do small projects on such as pen turning or small box turning and other small projects. I would say it will mainly depend on what you want to turn, how much you want to spend, and the space you have available. Just my $1.298.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

#3 gets my vote. Starting out, you won't be turning something larger than 12" diameter...................... a 12" - 10+ lb chunk of wood spinnin' at 450-500 rpm is scary enough let alone 24" and 30-40lbs! As has been said, you can add the bed extention and do at least 36" legs. I turned 4 legs for someone out of glued up 4" x4" X 34" Walnut. At that time I had a Jet mini w/o vs. It handled the project easily. I have since upgraded to the Rikon for the extra 2" swing and length, plus indexing that the Rikon gives you. Had it since right after Christmas and NO Complaints worth mentioning.

One other thing. Most people Keep their mini along with the big iron. Also, heaven forbid, you might not like it and it is easier to sell a $250 tool that weighs 84# than a $5000 one that weighs 6-800lbs.

Just MHO.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 04-12-2006 at 1:09 PM.

I suggest you go a different route.

Attend a meeting of your local turning club (I looked it up and it's close and here's the web site), participate, join, seek local advice, ask to test drive various machines, explore what sort of turning turns you on. Do this for five or sixth months.

You should have a good feel for what you want/need by that time.
    Only the Blue Roads

As usual, Andy............You ARE more on target!

Bruce

#3 from my end

You can get the PSI for $169 with free shipping on Amazon. At that price it is almost disposable. Learn on it then sell it off for $125 or just keep it as a back up. That is a very minimal investment compared to all the other stuff you will be getting and needing

Andy has made a great suggestion. I also think that the mini is a great was to start. Many of the accessories you get for a mini can be used on a full size lathe as well. You will probably want to keep it in addition to the big lathe you will eventually want.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Andy's suggestions is spot on. Here is another, do a search of this forum using the term "which lathe" or similar and read through the various threads. This question comes up on at least a weekly basis and many great posts exist that will provide much information.

Good luck!

Andy has provided good advice here.....but.....

You can do like I did and buy, use, upgrade......buy, use, upgrade......buy, use and keep..............OR.....just do it right the 1st time and forget loosing money on buying and upgrading.

I could have saved $$$$$$.$$ if I knew all this early in my WW'ing life.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I got a full sized lathe right out of the gate. Then it sat for years cuz I didn't know what to do with it...but then, I didn't have SMC as a guide.
    I'm happy with my choice. Oh...and get rid of those nasty flat tools, they might get in the way and you'll have to clean shavings off of them all the time.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

My turn... Get it??? Turn???

Seriously, I would go with the big lathe. I started out with a PSI, then a Jet mini vs and now have a DVR.

The small lathes were good for pens, but I wanted to do bowls and my jet would bog down when ever I would stick a chisel into the wood.
    Be Blessed

George

15. Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    I'm happy with my choice. Oh...and get rid of those nasty flat tools, they might get in the way and you'll have to clean shavings off of them all the time.

Oh no don't get rid of those flat tools, the table saw and outfeed table make for excellent turning supplies shelving. And who knows you may get into segmented turning and use them again.

My choice when I started was a HF model 34706. For a first lathe it has been great. I got it on sale with a coupon for $170 plus tax. Regular $299. Yes, had I known I would immediately become addicted and slide down the slippery slope into the vortex I might have done it differently. But at the time I didn't want to spend a lot bucks and then find I didn't like turning.

I'm currently saving the tool allowance each month toward a PM3520B. I'm about 10 months away from Yellow mustard right now.

Jim