Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheesh- my wife wants to BUY furniture!!

sheesh- my wife wants to BUY furniture!!

My wife is getting tired of waiting for my shop to be completed, and for me to get around to building a nice bed frame and chest of drawers.

She wants to buy a bedroom suite!

Now, this is actually not as crazy as it sounds- my sister in law has a small business where she buys furniture direct from some High Point NC manufacturers and sells the stuff at a very good price. The entire mission style oak bedroom suite- bed frame, 2 nightstands w/ 3 drawers, tall dresser, short/wide dresser w/ mirror is $1100 + $400 commission for her + shipping.

I don't want junk. And I want the right kind of finish. I have seen a lot of oak furniture that I feel has a really ugly finish. I'm fond of the fumed treatment, then pore fill with dark filler, then shellac. I don't know what this stuff will have for a finish. If it is sprayed poly, I don't want it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to lay hands on the stuff before we buy it. But it is American made, good quality furniture.

Very frustrating for me- my big barn shop is coming together- oak siding is going on as we speak- but the reality is that it won't be until fall before I get all the constrution done, and then there is the long process of actually building out the inside of the shop and getting tools, benches, and storage all set up.

So it will likely be a year before I can really get down to some actual furniture building. And I guess the reality is that building all these pieces would be a huge project.

So, I don't know why I'm writing this really, other than to vent!

Cheers
    Lynn

I feel for you. I am planning to build a detached workshop myself but I realized that it would take the better part of a year to get it done and we have some projects that can't wait. In short, I'm setting up a temporary shop in my basement until that blessed day arrives where I have a real shop. In fact, that banging you hear is the electricians installing a subpanel and 220v outlets.

If the siding is going on now, shouldn't it be inhabitable pretty soon? Maybe you could start working on the project before you have all of the storage, etc. set up?

Have to say, though, that does sound like a pretty good price for what you're getting. Assuming the quality is close to acceptable. Maybe you can move it to a guest room when you build the good stuff?

If the quality of the store bought is pretty good I would go ahead and buy it. After the shop is finished, build the good stuff and show her what REALLY good stuff is like. I'm sure she will want what you build. You then can sell the store made items and get some of your money back. Both of you will be happy. That would take some of the pressure off you to finish in a hurry and then build in a hurry too.

Good Luck - Been there.....

Blog Entries
    Well, having the wife getting tired of waiting for you to build something won't stop even when you get the shop built and fully functioning! Because I am not a full time woodworker combined with being "the slowest woodworker on the planet" (I only put out maybe 3 or 4 projects in a good year).
    SWMBO buys things from Ashley's "Fine Furniture" (what a joke ). I have learned to not criticize this furniture in front of her. It only gets her to point out that if I would get off my duff and build stuff faster she wouldn't feel the need to buy it.... (There is more to her rant, but I haven't managed to actually hear it, because I am now thinking, "Why did I say that this piece is furniture is crap in the first place?" and I can't think and listen at the same time.)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The humanity of it. I feel for you and recommend counseling ASAP.

I had to buy a dining room table when we were building the house. Made me sick and I refused to go in when she bought it.

I am finishing two loft beds for the curtain climbers and my 8 year old is nagging about the desk to go under it. Believe me it starts early, no wonder I am loosing my hair.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

My suggestion? Take the truck, drive over to the Ikea in College Park, and load it up. You'll get cheap, servicable furniture that'll easily last you the year before you can build your own "good stuff".

Personally, I'd be leery of the stuff your SIL can get you. The price sounds way too low for good stuff, and you can't see it before buying it. But $1500 is a lot to drop on something you may be disappointed in when you get it.

Im fortunate that the LOML likes stuff made for her. I do agree with Kevin, you can build later and show what quality looks like. One thing you must take into considerationis

If mama aint happy aint nobody happy!!!!!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

My wife is impatient too, really impatient, so I can empathize with you. I was painting the living room and had a hard time keeping her from putting the artwork back on the wall until it dried.
    Dennis

Go ahead and buy the furniture. All your going to do is get the SIL and wife mad at you and your life might be a living he$$ if you don't buy from the SIL. They already got together and figured this all out without your input, so your already out of the loop, so just give up and give in, you lost. (The SIL has already made the deal, she's making $400...)

Tell the wife that you are going to make some furniture anyway, when the shop is finished of course, and your going to sell it and get more than your money back for the stuff you got from the SIL.

What are you sleeping on now that can't wait until you..... OH, never mind, I almost forgot about the SISTER IN-LAW DEAL.

Now where did I put that other paddle......... here it is still in the pot!!!
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Jay
    All your going to do is get the SIL and wife mad at you and your life might be a living he$$ if you don't buy from the SIL. They already got together and figured this all out without your input, so your already out of the loop, so just give up and give in, you lost.
    Ted,

I think you are a wise man.

I'd probably do better if I had your insight into the Female Mind.

If I was a faster woodworker ... let's just say we've bought a good deal of furniture since I've been making furniture ... including a bedroom set.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Oh. I hear that one.
    My wife has threatened to go buy kitchen cabinets.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Sounds Like You Are In One Of These:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

And what did you say the BTU content of this furniture was........

Word of wisdom... get your wife to hold out. Saves you from having to trash or fire sell this stuff later on.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Word of wisdom... get your wife to hold out. Saves you from having to trash or fire sell this stuff later on.
    And what fantasy would do you live in? How would you propose to talk her into holding off? My experience has always been when she wants something and we actually have the money in the bank, resistance is futile.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.