Thread: more nyc trash (ie: free wood!!)

markus shaffer Guest

more nyc trash (ie: free wood!!)

Just about every day there is another old building being gutted and renovated somewhere around here. I passed this dumpster yesterday. These are all the old floor beams from this building. Dimensions somewhere in the neighborhood of 3"x6"x14'. Since I was in a hurry, I didn't really inspect it all that much, but I've pulled a few of these out of dumpsters in the past and used them. They are usually pine or some other softwood, but I've heard of people finding all sorts of other woods. There was a woodworker who used to sell stuff out of a store near my shop who only worked with found wood like this. I think he just drove around at night and looked in dumpsters and collected the stuff. I wish I had the storage for that. I could easily fill up my entire shop, floor to ceiling, in a week with the amount of wood like this that gets thrown away. I think the main problem is the time it takes to dig out all the nails. Unfortunatley, this load will end up in a landfill somewhere.

-Markus
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shame to see it in the dumpster

Makes you want to rent a warehouse, buy a truck, salvage it and remill it. Lots of work, but theres some value in old wood, especially to some of the restorers. Steve