Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epilog problem

Epilog problem

I was having a problem with raster engraving lining up with a vector outline. I talked to tech support several times but with no positive results.
    After cleaning everything and adjusting x travel belt tension the machine now goes beserk. It will vector a square fine once, then when I fill the box
    to raster, it goes all over the place. Then when I instruct it to vector the
    box again, it does but in a entirely different location. Has anyone encountered behavior like this? Its a Epilog 100 watt.

On a similar note, explaining problems to tech support and them trying to guess the solution seems to be a hit or miss proposition. By the way, Epilog has been very pleasant and helpful when they could. Why don't
    manfactures post a database of problems and their solutions. It would take a great burden off their support, and save customers time and money
    (many long distance calls). Thank you
    Pat Dillon

After cleaning everything and adjusting x travel belt tension the machine now goes beserk.

Pat,

You mentioned cleaning "everything". I too had a similar problem where the machine would "go crazy". I also called Epilog. My machine is a TT35. Anyway what I found was dirt / fuzz on the plastic linear encoder. I cleaned that up along with the optic sensor it fits into and I was back in business. I know it's not the same machine as yours but I have found most companies will stick with something that works.

On my machine it is located under the cover plate for the Y axis. Loosened the screws up and it is a "clear" strip of plastic / mylar? that runs the width of the table. Close inspection will reveal a 300 pulse per inch silkscreening? on it. Maybe this will help??????

Bruce

Hi Pat,
    I had the same type of problem on my Epilog 75. It would reach a point and start marking or cutting all over the place.
    I was told to clean the mylar linear encoder.
    I was told to use only a dry qtip and no solvent. They told me that solvent may remove the markings.
    I cleaned it and removed the grease that was on it and everything worked fine.
    Hope this helps
    Dick

Epilog problem

Thanks for your suggestions. I will do just that once I discover where the
    encoders are and how to get at them. I did find a problem-I upgraded to XP home edition and didn't realize the firmware would not support it, so it's back to win 98. Thanks again

Using xp and the encoder strip

Hi, I have a 45 watt epilog and it runs fine with xp. I am using the pro version but there shouldn't be that much difference. The encoder strip is under the grey cover that has epilog's web site on it. Four screws and you don't even have to take them all the way out. Just loosen and lift off. Look the for thin plastic strip the runs all the way from left to right, or is it right to left....any way clean as instructed in the manual the comes with the machine. Should fix the problems. Also you can vector and raster under the same print command.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dillon
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will do just that once I discover where the
    encoders are and how to get at them. I did find a problem-I upgraded to XP home edition and didn't realize the firmware would not support it, so it's back to win 98. Thanks again
    The firmware should handle any OS that sends a Post Script file. The printer driver does not. What you need to do if you upgrade to above Win98 is download the new printer driver from Epilog.

I started with Win95, stepped up Win98 and now run XP home all with the same Legend 24 I've had for nearly five years now. All the while running INTELLIscribe through a Lynksys cable/DSL router.

Michael
    Last edited by Michael McDuffie; 04-17-2006 at 9:49 PM.
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

Have you gotten your laser fixed yet?

I was wondering if you found out what the problem was with your laser. I'm considering buying an Epilog and want to learn all I can about them and how the company supports their customers.

Epilog Problem

No, I haven't resolved the problem yet. I don't think its dirty encoders as on my machine the encoders are built into the motors. It could be a loose pulley on the x axis on a bad tooth on the belt. I will tear it apart as soon as I can find time. As for Epilogue support, even though my machine is long out of warranty. they always try to help. I would not hesitate to buy another Epilog. Thanks Pat Dillon

Thanks Pat...

That's what I wanted to know. I hope you will get your laser up and running soon.

David

Epilog problem

Pat,

Did you sent he file to Epilog to have them try running it? If not, maybe someone else on the forum has the same machine (mine's a Legend 24TT 45 watt) just to confirm that it's not a software issue.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Patrick --

What model of machine is this? I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. These sorts of things can be frustrating. I assume it's a Legend 32 (non EX) 100-watt?

Robert
    www.usedlasers.com

Dear Patrick,

Unfortunately I can't find you in our database so I'm not sure what machine you have. I appreciate your comments regarding our support but am more concerned about why your machine is not back up and running.

In most cases, problems are diagnosed and parts (if necessary) are overnighted within the same day of the call. However there are cases where the problem is not as straight forward as we'd like. In those cases, we may require digital pictures or samples of what the problem looks like to determine what questions to ask and how to go about trouble-shooting.

I am still unclear as to what the actual problem is but I'm certain we can get it fixed. If possible, give us a call at 303.215.9171 and one of my techs will be able to assist. If not, provide your number and time where you'll be at the machine so we can start the trouble-shooting process again.

Let us know and we'll go from there.

Regards,
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Technical Support

Epilog Problem

I found the x-axis pulley bracket was loose so I knew I had solved my problem! Retighened and put everything back together. Same problem!
    So I will tear it down again (I think I could do this in my sleep) and investigate further. As you might have noticed, Peck from Epilog chimed in
    to offer help. Any questions as to why I would buy another Epilog!
    Thanks to everyone for their help. By the way its an older Express model
    but it great shape (well not right now) and works great. Thanks again

Patrick,
    Your machine uses stepper motors as does my Legend 24. Stepper motors don't have encoders, instead the electronics keeps track of the commanded steps.

Nope, not true they use servos

When the Y beam motor went up in smoke on my machine, Epilog had one on my doorstep the next day and gave me a week to send the old one back.

Michael
    Last edited by Michael McDuffie; 04-26-2006 at 4:35 AM.
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24

Another thought.

Vector your box, raster something then hit reset which should send it home. Now redo the vector. Did it end up in the same spot? If so, I still think it's losing steps. Aso try rastering at a slow speed and low power to see if it works then.

These checks may give Epilog enough data to help you.

Michael
    Last edited by Michael McDuffie; 04-26-2006 at 4:36 AM.
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24