Thread: My first LN

My first LN

Was working on a shaker style book case I've been making for a freind (YES, I know the maple panel is dyed, I couldn't talk them out of it ) when I realized that (once again) the rabbett on the panels were cut just a little too shallow by yours trully many months back. I went as far as swapping the blade on the tablesaw over to the dado blade and installing the false fence before stopping.

Why was I doing this when what I really needed was a couple of quick swipes on each rabbett with the appropriate hand plane?! Well, I didn't have said appropriate hand plane..... went to Woodcraft, problem solved!

Boy this thing works sweet! Now I just need to hide it from my wife ...did I mention she was gone for the weekend and I'm playing Mr Mom with the kids?!

...Jim in Idaho

That looks very sweet Jim. So....do you spend time just running your hands over it and caressing it?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

3. No he doesn't Mark--at least much as the brass would tarnish faster <G>. Well, maybe he polishes it too...

Well done, Jim. That is one of the planes I didn't sell when I sold most of the pack off. Excellent plane. And, btw, should you ever cut a tenon a tad thick, just use this plane to take a hair's shaving at a time from it.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W. White
    Was working on a shaker style book case I've been making for a freind (YES, I know the maple panel is dyed, I couldn't talk them out of it ) when I realized that (once again) the rabbett on the panels were cut just a little too shallow by yours trully many months back. I went as far as swapping the blade on the tablesaw over to the dado blade and installing the false fence before stopping.

Why was I doing this when what I really needed was a couple of quick swipes on each rabbett with the appropriate hand plane?! Well, I didn't have said appropriate hand plane..... went to Woodcraft, problem solved!

Boy this thing works sweet! Now I just need to hide it from my wife ...did I mention she was gone for the weekend and I'm playing Mr Mom with the kids?!

...Jim in Idaho

Jim

Congratulations on your new toy. They really are a very useful tool, as you'll find the more you use it.

[Good thing about it, too: it's small enough to keep in some obscure corner of your tool box or shop where it won't be readily noticed by SWMBO!!!! LOL]

Anyway, congrats -- any new LN is always a treat!!!

James

I just received my new #4 WWII era plane from Sandy Moss. Very nice plane. I got my 60 1/2 off ebay and lucked out on a beautiful pre-WWII plane as well. Nothing better than a beautiful run off a sharp plane blade!

Edit: oh yeah, of course, that plane is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're on a slippery slope now. LN's are like Lays Potato Chips. Nobody can eat just one.
    Use the fence Luke

Hi, I'm Ken and I'm a planaholic....

it starts out with a small plane "I just need it for this job" and before you know it, you're selling granny's blue hair dye for your next fix....

Best of luck. And have fun.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Werner; 04-22-2006 at 7:37 AM.

That is the first and only LN I own as well. I see more in my future. Sweet plane!
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I bought one a few months back from Woodcraft and got it on sale, about $20.00 off. love to fondle it.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Just like it is with pictures at SMC, Jim...if she doesn't see it...it doesn't exist. Well, sometimes it works...
    -----

At any rate, nice LN acquisition! I have your plane's cousin, the low-angle, adjustable mouth block plane and absolutely love it. As I'm sure you already discovered, these things just feel great in the hand!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's one of my favorite planes. My brother&sister-in-law gave me that
    as a present. I used Norton stones to get the blade razor sharp. What
    method do you use?

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Tool Snob!!!!!
    Welcome to the club.
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    That looks very sweet Jim. So....do you spend time just running your hands over it and caressing it?

I caress mine as my eyes roll back in my head.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/