Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench Renovation - the bench to build a bench!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    I've had this discussion many times with other WW that insist on buying their bench.
    Everyone goes about this a different way. Traditionally an apprentice would be required to build their bench. I don't think there is anything wrong with folks buying their own bench, I just am not doing that myself.

James, I also plan to build the base first, for my next bench (i.e., the "real" bench).
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Frampton
    I believe you mean "rite of passage". Incidentally I bought mine, but luckily I don't have to rely on your parameters to know if I'm a woodworker or not.
    Alf, grammar is not one of my strong points. I think I presented an opinion, not a parameter, so you can place your own opinion on yourself, I don't reserve any right to do so myself!
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

I don't think it matters whether someone buys their bench or makes it, though certainly one can get a more custom feel by making it. On the other hand, if you're not working at it full time, the shortcomings probably aren't going to annoy you as much.

I hand-built my first bench, but I got a lot more out of my second bench (which I bought). My first bench taught me less about what I needed in a bench than my second one did.

I might build a bench, but then I might prefer to build furniture instead.

Deirdre,

There's nothing wrong with wanting to spend time building furniture rather than a bench, and yes a lot of benches are just fine that can be bought. In fact, the bench in this thread will function to build most anything I would want to build, and would allow me to build fine furniture by using it. But it doesn't have some of the features I would like to have while building furniture, so it seems like a worthwhile investment of time to build one that can function in that way.

For that matter, it might seem like a waste of time to some that I'm taking the time to organize my workspace, focusing on my garage, at the moment.

I read a few books by Sarah Susanka, who writes "The Not So Big House" series (there are variations of it and related topics). One of the things she focuses on is dual purpose use of space, and the Japanese are very good at this as they have such limited space in Japan. I looked around my garage and decided that I have shelves around 2 entire walls, so it makes sense for that space to be counter space as well. By adding some steel rivited shelving in a 36" high config, they can be used for counter space. I can still have shelves above, and then I have the actual rivited shelving below. It's a great use of space, and it only costs a minimal investment as the rivited shelving is cheap and it comes with mdf for the shelves. Sure, not the best, but thicker and more mdf can be added, the shelves hold 1500 lbs each.

I think of a bench in the same regard, and a simple bench will do (the above will do if I wanted it to;-). I can incorporate drawers for use as tool storage. I can add features that will make it easier to do things I plan, twin-screw vise for dovetailing boards, emmert clone to hold unusual shapes, or to rotate work for carving/shaping. At the same time I can still do nice joinery on the bench, and in many ways it is a piece of furniture, but one that does something special...it let you build more furniture with it.

There is no question, one can invest quite a bit of $$$s in bench hardware, and one can also invest a lot of $$$s in the wood to make one (even for 2x4 lumber at the BORG). But a bench is an invaluable tool that continues to repay it's investment over tiime, like no other tools for the most part, IMO. To some (like me) the workbench is a personal tool, and to others it's not. This is not to say that one way is better or worse since it is after all about the mindset one places themself in and/or why they do woodworking to begin with. Everyone should have the privilege of deciding how they want to their bench to be, and why it is a personal choice. Many of us work differently after all.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

4. I agree with both you, Alan, and Alf, best summed up in Tyler's statement of different strokes.

Woodworking is often a solitaire undertaking. A personal journey. Hopefully we each decide what is necessary to further our own path down this madness of woodworking.

Back in the day of apprenticeships, it was too often decided for the apprentice. It was a good system for those seeking to become master cabinet makers I believe.

But most today are hobby-makers who do not have the luxury of immersion of the craft. So we pick and choose. Sometimes our choices further our understanding in concrete ways, and sometimes there is a seeming setback due to a lack of knoweldge. But that too advances the person willing to learn.

What we each choose to learn from is but a choice. An individual choice. My preference is to learn technique from concrete projects that end up being used in the shop. A good friend charges in on the furniture projects he makes. We both learn.

Take care, Mike

I see Alan's point about a workbench being a tool -- but on the other hand, I've bought more tools than I've made, too. Whatever floats one's boat.

In my case, I live with chronic pain, so that means that my time in the shop is more limited than the clock indicates. I need to get in, get some work done until I reach that pain threshhold, and get out. It's only because of my taking yoga for several months that I could even approach the issue of woodworking again.

Given that, hand tool woodworking is an odd choice, granted, but several of the medications I take warn about operating machinery. Plus, I like making furniture and I have a very small space, so it seemed a good compromise (that and doing more physical work has been helping reduce my pain over time, so I may have reduced pain PLUS furniture after a while).

Anyhow, I expect I'll make another bench eventually, but it wouldn't be for quite a while.

Just as an aside: it fascinates me that woodworking is one of the few hobbies where people DO make their own tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    I agree with both you, Alan, and Alf, best summed up in Tyler's statement of different strokes.
    Yes, and I didn't mean to imply that Alf was any less of a woodworker, I think that was her point (well taken;-) because she bought her bench. Rather, she's a very accomplished woodworker who I've learned things from myself.

I think many folks are aligned on being able to select, it's like pro-choice woodworkers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
    I see Alan's point about a workbench being a tool -- but on the other hand, I've bought more tools than I've made, too. Whatever floats one's boat.

In my case, I live with chronic pain, so that means that my time in the shop is more limited than the clock indicates.
    (...)
    Anyhow, I expect I'll make another bench eventually, but it wouldn't be for quite a while.

Just as an aside: it fascinates me that woodworking is one of the few hobbies where people DO make their own tools.
    I just wanted to point out that a workbench is only a part, really our shop and/or environment we have to work in does dictate to some extent how we work. I would encourage you to think about designing some tailored workspace, or pieces to help you to make woodworking easier on yourself.

As an example, I will use one of my own. I currently find that I can't endure whie standing for a long time. We all get old, and wether I can or not stand, I don't want to stand for 4 hours at a time, when I can do a lot of it on a stool. As a temp solution, I have a stool I can use, but I would like to make a stool to compliment my working needs.

I have other pieces I'd like to build also, like a shaving horse, a saw bench, etc...

How we setup our work environment, and how we work is very unique to ourselves. It's worth investing some time into making it the best suited for our own individual needs. It's worth taking a step back and trying to understand how the space is used, how effecient it is, and how it can be made better. It can be a tradeoff between how much one wants to invest in something based on their perceived value.

Then again, what do I know (he says in jest)? I am only a hobbyist woodworker. Not that there's anything wrong with that BTW. I feel that some of the best pieces are made by hobbyist ;-) But someone such as a professional might look at his space differently, and/or the time he invests into make it right for him. I think overall that there's a lot of diversity amongst both hobbyists and professionals, because we are all just human afterall.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff
    As an example, I will use one of my own. I currently find that I can't endure whie standing for a long time. We all get old, and wether I can or not stand, I don't want to stand for 4 hours at a time, when I can do a lot of it on a stool. As a temp solution, I have a stool I can use, but I would like to make a stool to compliment my working needs.

I have other pieces I'd like to build also, like a shaving horse, a saw bench, etc...
    I can't stand for a long time either, so I think this may be part of the reason a shaving horse appeals to me. I also do a lot of my work on a stool, but would like to make a better one.

BTW, I have to have a shaving horse built by the time I take the Boggs class in August, so that will be one of my earlier projects.

I can't stand for a long time either, so I think this may be part of the reason a shaving horse appeals to me. I also do a lot of my work on a stool, but would like to make a better one.

BTW, I have to have a shaving horse built by the time I take the Boggs class in August, so that will be one of my earlier projects.
    It's something on my list of projects also, it's just something I want to have. Seems like a nice way to work on a nice day, outside. Just rake up the savings after you're done.;-)

When I build a stool, I want it to be the comfortable height for my bench, opposed to being a comfortable height for a bar stool.;-)
    --

Yes, the luxury of working outside has just begun to appeal to me. I got a Tormek at the woodworking show today and I was considering setting it up on our patio tomorrow night (presuming I could steal a table and a chair from the Linux group, which is not a given).

Why, I could sharpen all my plane blades (something I was actually dreading before, but am now looking forward to).

Yes, the luxury of working outside has just begun to appeal to me.
    Today was nice for the first time in a while. I opened the french doors and turned on some jazz, it was really nice.
    I got a Tormek at the woodworking show today and I was considering setting it up on our patio tomorrow night (presuming I could steal a table and a chair from the Linux group, which is not a given).

Why, I could sharpen all my plane blades (something I was actually dreading before, but am now looking forward to).
    I have a friend with a Tormek, and I took a bunch of my chisels over to him and sharpened them about a year ago. I now have a Lap-Sharp, which I really like a lot.

Last weekend when I was working on this bench, I took a break for about 2 hours and sharpened up close to 2 dozen chisels and 3 plane blades (No 8, No 4, 60 1/2).

I was counting chisels and realized I have close to 3 dozen vintage chisels. I have about 8-10 bench chisels (Stanley and Pexto), 6-8 firmers, ~8 paring chisels, 3 hefty millright mortise chisels, and a few others. When I build the next bench, I want to build a chisel holder that will fit in the drawer, but pull out to be used on top of the bench, allowing it to be used as a stand.

EDIT: is CABAL again tomorrow? Looks like it on the BALE list. Maybe I'll try to drop by tomorrow, and if I do bring that chunk of walnut for you.
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 04-22-2006 at 6:44 AM.
    --