Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry bookcases and window seat

Cherry bookcases and window seat

Finally completed a set of built in cherry bookcases and window seat that my wife asked me to build. Actually it took me four years to convince her that she wanted them. Each side of the bookcases has two sections two feet wide and seven feet tall. Overall length is 13 feet. The uprights are all frame and panel construction. The panels were made on a table saw with a molding head. There are cabinet below the window seat. The molding were made with a combination of table saw molding head and router table. The fixed shelves have a face frame with a small arch. The movable shelves have a 1/2" solid cherry edging.

All of the solid wood is cherry, much of it curly. The backs of the bookcases are 1/4" birch ply. The shelves are 3/4" birch ply on OSB core. The cherry was finished with garnet shellac. The backs and shelves were first treated with half strength Transfast water based Dark Red Mahogany dye and then garnet shellac. The gave a very good match for the cherry. My wife still has to get the cushion made for the seat.

Cherry-bookcase full-web.jpgCherry-bookcase left-web.jpgCherry-bookcase right-web.jpgCherry-bookcase seat-web.jpg

Saweeeeeet.

John...........very classy! Excellent execution, wood and finish! Excellent!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

more cool cherry stuff! nice work john!
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Beautiful work, John. I like everything about it.

Now, where are all the WW books?
    Best Regards, Ken

sinply awesome, great work

Great work, John!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excellent, John! Very nice!
    Keel McDonald ><>

Looks most excellent. It seems that everything I make now-a-days is painted, so seeing all that beautiful cherry is nice on my eyes!

Quick question: did you cut back the carpet so the built-ins are on the sub-floor/slab?
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

John, awesome job on the entire project. Fits the space perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe
    Looks most excellent. It seems that everything I make now-a-days is painted, so seeing all that beautiful cherry is nice on my eyes!

Quick question: did you cut back the carpet so the built-ins are on the sub-floor/slab?
    Dan,

Yes, I cut the carpet. Didn't want any movement and problems with replacing carpet. Actually this job is going to cost me new carpet sooner rather than later.

Very nice John! They look great!

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

I never get tired of seeing well thought out built-ins. Great job!

Looks great!!! well done.

Excellent job! The value of your house just went way up!!!