Thread: Millers Falls No 1 Spoke Shave

Millers Falls No 1 Spoke Shave

Hello,
    I came across an old thread that talked about the Millers Falls No 1 Spoke Shave. In the thread Kelly Tool was mentioned. I have tried to get a hold of Kelly Tool with out luck. Does anyone have any current info ?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Also does anyone know who could be making reproduction of the Millers Falls No1 ?
    <o></o>
    Thanks
    Clem

Welcome to the quiet side Kevin. The Kelly Tool Works reproduction of the MF #1 cigar shave is available thru Joel Moskowitz at www.toolsforworkingwood.com. Kelly doesn't sell direct any more as far as I know. Originals are also readily available at tool auctions and occasionally from old tool dealers. I saw at least half a dozen of them Friday at the LFOD auction in Nashua.

Either way you go, new or used, make sure you order a spare cutter. The blades aren't hard to sharpen, but they are hard to hold on to and you will need to make yourself some type of holding jig. That's the reason I have 4 of the things. When one gets dull I move on to the next, and the next, and the next. Then they all get sharpened together. Properly adjusted they are an invaluable tool for concave curves.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thanks Dave. But I check and they are currently out of stock. They have been for a while. I have 3 orignals. I was thinking of reproducing them if there was an interst.

Thanks
    Clem

"Cigar Shave"

Hi Kevin,
    The April 2005 issue of Woodwork magazine had an article titled "Making a "Cigar Shave" A circular spokeshave for tight curves. They have back issues available at http://www.woodwork-mag.com. If they are out PM me and I will see if I can help with a scan.
    Greg

5. Kelly Tool works is occasionally making them. We do plan to get the blades in but I don't know exactly when.
    We do carry BTW other cigar shaves that are easier to sharpen. And that's the probelm with the Miller's falls. TO really sharpening it properly is a pain - not impossible but a pain - consequently some people love them some hate them.

Brass Circular Spokeshave

Woodjoy Tools also sells a circular shave that uses a traditional wooden spokeshave blade. You can see it here http://www.woodjoytools.com/brcirc.html.
    I have never tried this one but I do have a couple of his other shaves and can attest to the high quality of Glenn Livingston's work.
    Greg

Thanks Greg,

I'll try to get a back issue of the mag. I did see where woodjoytools is making a nice version of this. But at $89 seems a little steep. Considering a Hock blade is $36 (not in qty) and there is only $10 worth of brass. But I guess there could be a fair amount of setup time and machine time. But then again, a few good fixtures would help that.

Thanks for your help, great forum. Wish I found this sooner !

Kevin