Thread: Portable TS Station

Portable TS Station

I have need for a portable TS station. You gents span a great spectrum of experience & profession so here goes.. I also posted this over on WC but wanted to cover the guys who don't go both places..

Doing a lot more turning than anything, I sold my PM64, jointer, etc.. a couple years ago and put my money in lathe tools! But when I need it, I use a Makita 2703 bench saw. Weighs 40lbs & does almost all I will ever need.. (including ripping 8/4 oak all day long if needed)

However a friend & I are going in together and we are rehabbing several old houses interiors for another guy. We need a TS that we can haul around, room to room, house to house, Like my SCMS & wheeled stand I use for most stuff.

This is just what my Makita was built for, almost. I am going to be doing a bunch of architectural (mantels, columns, faux beams) & trim work on these projects and I really want a better fence, more rip size, etc.. to cut/build a lot of custom pieces. I don't like the idea of working on my Workmate like I do now.

The issue is -- I <strong>AIN'T</strong> gonna' haul no contractors table saw around nor am I going to leave all my tools on-site every nite at a building someone else owns.. so replacing the saw with something bigger is not really an option.

I was thinking of adding a Rousseau 2700XL or their PortaMak 2750 ... the 2700XL get's great reviews but I really like the wheels on the PortaMak. I know it's pricey but it fits my needs.

Looking for anyone w/experience with either, hopefully the PortaMak -- since it looks like what I really need.. but the 2700 is doable. Portability is the keyword here and while the 2700XL is slick, I am concerned about having to disassemble it to move it around. Both are supposed to have ok fences and fold down to store/transport. Wheels on the PortaMak look handy. I ain't planning on ripping to much ply and if I do I will break it down with a circ saw first anyway.

I am open to other portable suggestions, other brands etc.. I am sure I am not the only guy with this problem .... While it's pricey it seems like the best option to me.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Hi Michael,

You may want to look at the stand Ted Owens built. I think he has posted pics of it on here before.

Good luck,
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery