Thread: Sharpening Jig Systems?

Sharpening Jig Systems?

With the upcoming addition of a Lathe, (Thanks again Terry!),
    I have been checking out the various Sharpening Jig Systems. The Wolverine System looks good, and so does the Woodcut Trugrind System. I was wondering if there are pro's and con's to either or both systems? Does anyone use the Wolverine or Truegrind System, and if so, how do you like it, and what do you think of it? I have a Delta Variable Speed Grinder, and a sharpening system seems like a sensible addition for consistant sharpening of turning tools. I understand I will be sharpening various turning tools often, and I want to start out on the right track. Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The Wolverine is the de-facto standard that most folks either buy or emulate with a shop-built fixture. It's well designed, well made and does it's job the way it's supposed to. I'm actually considering buying a second one for my other grinder as it's much more sturdy than the (excellent) Veritas supports I have on that one!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the tru-grind and like it. One base and one fixture does it all. It works really well on gouges (bowl and spindle) and on scrapers. Puts a hollow grind on skews (I would think any system would) which I don't like. The only problem I've had its that its a PITA to use the Trugrind with a diamond dresser.

I think you'll be happy with either system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The Wolverine is the de-facto standard that most folks either buy or emulate with a shop-built fixture. It's well designed, well made and does it's job the way it's supposed to. I'm actually considering buying a second one for my other grinder as it's much more sturdy than the (excellent) Veritas supports I have on that one!
    Jim, your going to have to tell me what de-facto means. I can't find it in the dictionary.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas
    Jim, your going to have to tell me what de-facto means. I can't find it in the dictionary.
    From Webster's:
    existing or being such in actual fact, though not by legal establishment, official recognition, etc.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Oops, forgot. I just got the Wolverine base to go with the Vari-grind I got a while back. I had thought I would just build my own version of the base, but ended up deciding not to mess with it. This has taken my turning/sharpening to a whole new level instantly.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Oops, forgot. I just got the Wolverine base to go with the Vari-grind I got a while back. I had thought I would just build my own version of the base, but ended up deciding not to mess with it. This has taken my turning/sharpening to a whole new level instantly.
    The true value to these jigs is the consistency they provide. Even some very accomplished turners who avoided such fixtures for a very long time have begun to use them for that very reason. A consistent edge really takes away one of the things you need to think about and will help improve your work.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    With the upcoming addition of a Lathe, (Thanks again Terry!),
    I have been checking out the various Sharpening Jig Systems. The Wolverine System looks good, and so does the Woodcut Trugrind System. I was wondering if there are pro's and con's to either or both systems? Does anyone use the Wolverine or Truegrind System, and if so, how do you like it, and what do you think of it? I have a Delta Variable Speed Grinder, and a sharpening system seems like a sensible addition for consistant sharpening of turning tools. I understand I will be sharpening various turning tools often, and I want to start out on the right track. Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Kevin, There's no need to buy one when you can make it yourself. All you need to do is make a "V" shaped block for the tool handle end to fit into and a base to attach near the grinder. A picture would make more sense of this so I'll send you one of mine if you want. But they are very simple to make and you may as well spend your money on tools you'll need. Just my opinion of course. Happy turning. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Hi Kevin, There's no need to buy one when you can make it yourself. All you need to do is make a "V" shaped block for the tool handle end to fit into and a base to attach near the grinder. A picture would make more sense of this so I'll send you one of mine if you want. But they are very simple to make and you may as well spend your money on tools you'll need. Just my opinion of course. Happy turning. Alan in Md.
    I originally made my own, too. But over a period of time, it just didn't hold up as well as I would have liked. I also found that the wood had more flex than the steel in the Wolverine, especially when the arm was extended out quite a bit for long gouges. I still have the shop-built one on my second grinder, but will more than likely replace it with another Wolverine should I stumble on a "great price"...
    --

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I decided to go with the One Way System, that includes the Basic System, the Vari-Grind Jig and the Diamond Wheel Dresser. This made more economic sense, and the complete system was just a few bucks more than just the Basic System with the Vari-Grind Jig. I have looked at more information than I care to think about in the last few days about the various systems for sharpening Lathe tools, and this seemed to be the best go. We just sold an "Extra" Car we had and were not using, so LOML let me have a few bucks for the Sharpening System. (I think she was worried about my eyes buggin' out from so much computer time looking and researching these systems for sharpening!) I should be good to go when I get the Lathe..............I feel like a Kid at Christmas...........can't wait to get turning!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I decided to go with the One Way System, that includes the Basic System, the Vari-Grind Jig and the Diamond Wheel Dresser. This made more economic sense, and the complete system was just a few bucks more than just the Basic System with the Vari-Grind Jig. I have looked at more information than I care to think about in the last few days about the various systems for sharpening Lathe tools, and this seemed to be the best go. We just sold an "Extra" Car we had and were not using, so LOML let me have a few bucks for the Sharpening System. (I think she was worried about my eyes buggin' out from so much computer time looking and researching these systems for sharpening!) I should be good to go when I get the Lathe..............I feel like a Kid at Christmas...........can't wait to get turning!
    Kevin, I think that's a good decision. You can research these things to death. You won't go wrong with your purchase; it's just a fool proof way of sharpening lathe tools. Have fun. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.