Thread: Questions about mesquite

Questions about mesquite

I'm working on a mothers day present using a piece of mesquite I cut from my parents ranch. For those of you remembering my previous bad experience with a mesquite sensitvity, I think I've got it beat. I turned the last 2 nights with a long sleeve shirt and gloves and I didn't have any problems other than getting hot. A trend airshield is on the future list.

I've got two questions about mesquite in particular.
    #1 What do you do with wet mesquite? Do you rough turn it, DNA then finish it like any other wood? Do you finish turn it right away and then let it slowly dry in newspapers?

#2 Is there a favorite finish for mesquite? A search on this forum returns some lacquer, which looks fine but Mom likes a more natural oil looking finish. Several search returns had some form of oil. I need a finish that will look very natural and be absolutely maintenance free for many years.

Tom,

Glad you got the sensativity thing beat. Breathing protection is a good thing to have on the list

To try and answer your questions:

1) Almost all of the Mesquite I get is pretty green (within a few months of being cut). I have very little movement and no problems with cracking due to drying. I usually finish turn it straight away and immediately apply my finish. It wouldn't hurt anything to rough turn and go through a drying process before you finish turn, but Mesquite is just so darn stable, I haven't felt the need to do it. I've ony had one Mesquite bowl that deformed on the bottom enough to be detectable (ie. slight wobble of about 1/64 - 1/32'' on a 14" bowl). I just sanded the foot flat again on a glass plate, no big deal.

2) My personal finish favorite for mesquite is without a doubt, Natural Watco oil. You can leave it alone, or buff to suit your taste, but I think it fits your criteria well.

Here's a few examples of what it looks like. These are Watco saturated, cured, and Beall buffed.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13620
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14470

Good luck!
    Brad

I agree with Brad. All the Mesquite I've turned needed no drying. It is exceptionally stable. I've used lacquer on a few, but my BLO/shellac mix gives me the the texture that you describe.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I like that mesquite. I use a lot of tung oil solution on mine.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Mesquite is the most stable wood in the world according to Texas A&M University which is pretty much the authority on mesquite. I have worked with mesquite for many years in flat work and have made a good number of turnings with it. You do not need to do anything as far as drying.

I have made lidded boxes with mesquite so green it throws water while turning. Months later the lid still fits perfect! That is one of the reasons I prefer mesquite because I am too darn impatient to rough turn and then let it sit for some other day!

I currently have 4,000 bf of mesquite sitting in log form behind my shop and a sawmill to cut it up! Needless to say, I have enough expereince with it to say to just use it and don't worry about it!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Curtis

Where do you live and most importantly what is your Address

Cheers

Ben

Curtis if you are running out of room, I do have some storage space that is free and would be glad to keep some for you.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.