Thread: Hand saw info ?

Hand saw info ?

Hey folks, I'm looking for some info on a handsaw I found in my Father-in-Law's basement. I was cleaning it up a little and discovered an etched emblem on one side. It says something like "Crescent Tools, Meriden, Conn, USA" and there is what looks like a number 8 stamped in the blade at the rear of the saw below the handle. Anybody have any insight on this saw? I have not searched the internet yet. I figured someone here may know something. One of the handle screws says "warrented superior" but I have seen that on lots of saws. Also, where can I get some of the bolt/nut devices that hold the handle on the blade-for a different saw ?

Thanks for any info you can come up with.

Don

Chrome, Brass or Alumnium?

Don, your saw was made by H.W. Mason and company which used the "Crescent Works' brand. No dates or locations are listed in the "Hand-saw Makers of North America" so I assume they did not have a long, profitable, business life.
    Dennis

Don,

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr
    Also, where can I get some of the bolt/nut devices that hold the handle on the blade-for a different saw ?
    There may be other places but Dieter Smid of Fine-Tools has them.

good luck,
    Jasper

The number "8" most likely refers to "points per inch", the number of teeth per inch of blade.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thanks

Thanks for the helpful info regarding my saw. If they were not in production long does that mean it is very rare and valuable?

Take care, Don

7. Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr
    Thanks for the helpful info regarding my saw. If they were not in production long does that mean it is very rare and valuable?

Take care, Don
    Unfortunately, probably not, Don.

Scarcity isn't a good indicator of value. Seems like it should hold true across the board--so to speak--but it doesn't. Scarcity by main makers using their own brand *can* be, not always so, either.

As always, something is worth what others would pay. But vintage saws in general are so plentiful and etches/maker information so spotty that those willing to pay more than a few dollars generally stick with the known makers and odd variations of their saws.

For instance, a Disston #7, even a split nut one, won't fetch much. But one from the same period that has an odd etch or mis-made medallion is worth much more. While not common, there are some Disstons out there where the medallion reads "H. DISSTON & SNOS" instead of "...& SONS". For some reason the "SON" die got reversed at various times during production. There's enough of them they pop up at times and for various vintages, so it wasn't a one-time event.

Anyway, sharpen it, use it. As for the saw bolts/nuts, if they are brass, your best bet would be to remove them from an otherwise worthless saw. If the are chrome, the ones Ace Hardware sells for next to nothing are a good choice.
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=10443522038

Take care, Mike