Thread: Finish advise for Mahogany Doors

Question Finish advise for Mahogany Doors

I need advise on a finish for my Mahogany front doors. The doors are about ten years old and were originally finished with an oil product. The local company that fabricated these is now out of business and I cannot find out what finish they used. The doors became dark with mildew and or mold, I have scrubbed them down with steel wool and washed them down with Clorox then with clear water. I have touched up the stain on a few spots (where I rubbed to hard) and now I need advise on a finish.

I would prefer an oil finish as it is easier to repair.
    They are not exposed to direct sunlight but I imagine I would need UV protection in the finish.
    Do I need to include an additive to retard mildew and mold.

Appreciate all replies.
    Keith M

If they are not exposed to direct sun light you don't need to make special provision in the finish for UV protection. Of course, in your case direct sun would pretty much eliminate the mildew problem in all likelihood.

Unfortuately, any finish with linseed oil is likely to be susceptible to mildew so that rules out most of the oil finishes. Personally, I would want to seal the door better than an oil or oil/varnish finish can do. Waterlox Original/Sealer is a tung/phenolic wipe on varnish that would be good and is relatively easy to repair. Mildewcide is available in most paint stores and could be added to the Waterlox.

In addition to Steve's sage advice, you might also check out Sikkens.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Right, Sikkens is a very durable exterior finish, but you do have to like the look since it does contain a fair amount of pigment.

Personally, I am not too fond of Sikkens. I used it on my boat for several seasons, it worked reasonably well, but darkened considerably over that time, so that it didn't look very "teakish". But, that was in a 100% full sun all day, every day situation.

I'm doing a foolish thing, I'm setting up to put varnish on the boat, but this time over the CPES epoxy, as mentioned in a recent FWW article. Finally got to the epoxy today, after days of crawling around with scrapers and sanders. Sure wish toe rails were at waist level, but the name describes them well.

Thanks Steve. These doors are set back about six feet from the front of the house (main entry into a large entryway) with a roof over that antends three feet further out so they see no direct sunlight or any rain EXCEPT during a hurricane.
    Keith M