Thread: General Hybrid Tablesaw ?

General Hybrid Tablesaw ?

I am replacing my delta 36-650 contractors saw and would like to stay below $1,000. I have been looking at the delta, jet and general hybrid saws. Does anyone have any experience with the general 50-220C Hybrid Saw?

Thanks,
    Tim

General 50-220C comments

I got a 50-220C in December and love it.
    Took awhile when I got it to make sure all was in alignment (since I am new it took awhile) and now it makes great cuts.
    I must admit the stock mitre gauge was a piece of $@#%%.
    I replace it with an Icra which works great.
    I also got a General blade (it was thrown in at no added $$$) and it also does a good job. Haven't had to sharpen it yet.
    I'm sure others have will find other saws to be better (or have complaints about the General) but I'm happy and really like the saw.
    Jeff

Sorry, Tim, this isn't really an answer to your question, but IMHO, a hybrid saw isn't enough of an upgrade over a contractor's saw to justify the cost. Hybrids are nice, but you really can't expect that much improvement in performance or accuracy over what you already have.

A $1,000 budget puts you within spitting range of a 3 HP cabinet saw (e.g., Grizzly), which would be a big upgrade in capability.

Just my thoughts,
    Kent

Tim, I think Ken is correct. The hybrid, IMHO, is only a half step up from a contractors saw and most are difficult to maintain alignment. You would be happier, I think, with a Griz.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fitzgerald
    Sorry, Tim, this isn't really an answer to your question, but IMHO, a hybrid saw isn't enough of an upgrade over a contractor's saw to justify the cost. Hybrids are nice, but you really can't expect that much improvement in performance or accuracy over what you already have.

A $1,000 budget puts you within spitting range of a 3 HP cabinet saw (e.g., Grizzly), which would be a big upgrade in capability.

Just my thoughts,
    Kent
    Hi Kent - I'm very happy with the upgrade from a tricked out GI contractor saw to a 22124 hybrid. It's no PM66, but there was a pretty noticeable improvement and it's plenty of saw for a weekend hack like me. Hybrids have several advantages over contractor saws and nearly no disadvantages... I'm really enjoying those advantages. In Tim's case, if he upgrades to the 50-220C "M1", he'd be getting a fairly significant fence upgrade, improved trunnions, improved power transfer efficiency from the dual drive system, likely less vibration, more stability, smaller footprint, better DC, and no "racking" possibilities that the 36-650 poses. A cabinet saw is undoubtedly a more robust saw, but the GI hybrid should offer many of the same advantages a cab saw has if a cab saw isn't in the cards....enough advantages that I think he'd be pleased with the switch. I'd be surprised if others who've made a similar change didn't notice the same improvements...I've read several reports that would suggest being pleased with the upgrade.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-22-2006 at 9:12 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the advice. I went a head and picked up a 5hp shop fox cabinet saw with the 7' rails to give me a little better than a 50 " rip capacity . David made me a a good deal @ $1150 with out the table board. From everything I've seen the saw usually goe for around $1400 to $1500. I got it home today and built a temporary ramp to slide out of my van. Hopefully I can make room for it next week and get her up and going. I still think the General Hybrid is a pretty nice saw for the money but I don't want to regret not getting a true cabinet saw later.

Tim

Good move. You will be happier with a "full" cabinet saw.

CPeter