Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Creeker Visit~La Crosse, WI

Talking Creeker Visit~La Crosse, WI

After the 50 cent tour of the hacienda, Spring, Arena & I headed toward Genoa, WI to meet Tyler at a neander/old stuff store. The Raasch's were there also. Very neat place. We all came away with something.
    IMG_0848.jpg

8 cheeseheads, 1 Minnesotan and 1 Pennsyltuckian enjoyed the food at Piggy's as well as great company and stories.

Pesh and Cousin John wandered in a wee bit late, due to getting caught in an eddy while navigating the river. Pesh had a special gift for Tyler.
    IMG_0853.jpg

Then Tyler had goodies for each of us. Thank you Rockler, Keith & Jackie and Dino. Tyler had a special gift for each of us also. Shop helpers. [See Tyler's tutorial http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35143 ].
    IMG_0859.jpg

Just a couple of candid shots.
    IMG_0855.jpg IMG_0856.jpg

Tyler, thank you for setting this up. You are an honorary "CHEESEHEAD" in my book. To Joe, Scott, Erin, Pesh, Cousin John, Bill, & Tyler, it was truly a pleasure to meet you and spend some time with you. Arena it was also a pleasure meeting you and along with Spring you made the ride very enjoyable.

Others in the group took pictures also and will hopefully post and fill in the voids I've left.

Thanks again for a great day. Hope we can get together again with even more "Creekers".

Karl
    Last edited by Karl Laustrup; 04-22-2006 at 8:01 AM.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I can only echo Karl's sentiments!!! What an absolutely awesome time! I don't believe I've laughed so hard, so long and with so much enthusiasm in a very, very long time. What a great bunch of people! Though I had met many of the folks before, it was certainly an honor to meet up with Bill, Pesh, Cousin John and Joe. I only hope that we didn't scare Bill away from visiting Cheeseland again sometime in the future.

And Tyler, a very special "THANKS" to you, my friend!!! You certainly went all out to make this a most memorable occasion, though now I will have a mini-project in having to make a frame for the thong!!!! And, a repeat of "thanks" to Rockler, our friend Dino, Bill Grumbine for the DVD and to Keith & Jackie (especially seeing as to how I got the SMC cap!!! ).

Pretty pooped now, but will post additional pics tomorrow! Thanks again to all who participated and to Karl, who took care of the chauffeur duties for the bulk of the trip.
    Last edited by John Miliunas; 04-22-2006 at 4:14 PM.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

THis is Ken in Idaho.........GREEN with envy! Looks like everyone had a great time!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

4. Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    This is Ken in Idaho.........GREEN with envy! Looks like everyone had a great time!
    Hey Ken, at least you in the same country, and on the same continent!!

Looks like fun, thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

WOW, looks like you all had a great time. My wife just peeked over my shoulder and wanted to know what the deal was with the thongs....I tried to explain it was a creeker joke. she also wanted to know why someone (Dale) is holding up granny panties instead of a thong? She also said she may be watching me a little closer when I come on the creek.....as she is shaking her head and walking away.

Congrats guys on what looks like time well spent.

Hey Tyler! Are those pockets for block planes on that thong?
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

More pics

As promised, a few more shots from the Bill G./LaCrosse get-together.

For Frank and me, our LC trip started with a drive over to Karl's new digs. This, of course, included checking out Karl's new Robland, X-31. Frank & Karl saying, "So, what does this do???"
    KrlFrk shop.jpg

Inside Karl's new digs, we have his new "Kitchen Version" of the X-31!
    Wolf.jpg

Karl already gave us a pic of our stop at the Tool Shed, where I walked out with my very first Disston backsaw. (Will be trying that puppy out today!) We had some time to kill before reservations at Piggy's, so it was off to the Mighty Mississippi to take in the scenes. If one does go to La Crosse, a tour on the La Crosse Queen is a "must do"!!!
    LCqueen.jpg

As dinner time approached, we decided to hang out in the lounge of Piggy's for a while. One of the first to arrive was Dale and Cousin John. Dale had painstakingly prepared a brand new "Wonder Thong" for Tyler!
    WonderThong.jpg

More pics to come.....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

More pics II

To continue, we have a shot of Karl, Bill and Joe discussing some of the finer points of turning out a NE bowl, provided by, Mr. Grumbine. In one of the shots on my sets here, you may also spot a NE winged bowl, which is just way, way too cool! BillJoeKrlNEbowl.jpg

A couple more general table shots at the fine eating establishment.
    GenShot.jpg GenShot1.jpg

And, with all the talk of Dale and Frank wanting to take each others heads off, they appeared to hit it off just fine! DalFrnkTable.jpg

No, we're not quite done, yet. Watch for the next post.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Smile My final round of pics.

And, for the final set; First, we have another shot of Tyler, Erin and Scott as they listen intently to the wise words of Professor Thompson.
    TylErnSct.jpg

A rather unlikely pair, Dale and myself....
    DaleJon.jpg

An even more unlikely pair! Whew, you talk about oil and vinegar!!! (BUT, they both behaved themselves!)
    DalFrk.jpg

And last, but most assuredly, not least, we have Bill demonstrating the proper use of his new shop headgear! (I'm still trying to explain this one to the LOML!!!
    BillHeadGear.jpg

Yup, one of the absolute funnest times I've had in a long time!!! A most memorable occasion and one which I will not forget for many, many years to come! (I'll bet the good folks at Piggy's are still shaking their heads!!! ) Thanks again to Tyler, Bill and all who attended this wonderful meet!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

There's not much I can add, and I think I can fairly say that a great time was had by all. Meeting old friends for the first time is quite an experience, and only underscores what I've already known - Creekers are a great bunch!

Kudos to Tyler for putting this thing together and for being a great sport, and especially for introducing us all to such a versatile new shop tool!

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Hey Erin & Scott! Happy Anniversary!!! So, did you try out the new shop tool? Did Scott try out... Oh, never mind!!! I guess I don't really want to know after all! Anyhow, hope you have a great anniversary!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Looks great. Sounds great. Wish I coulda been there!!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Oh my head!!!

Oh My head!!!!! Actually it's the jaw muscles, and sides from ROTFLOL with my cheddar buds from next door .
    Just crawled back into town .

If you haven't met Big Bad Bill? Put it on your must do list. He was Sweet William last night. At least get the DVD. Wow! ! Great guy and talent. He brought some of his beautiful work for us to see. That settles it, I'll always be a flat head.

Found a couple things at the Tool Shed. A Bailey # 6 I wanted and this cleaver I needed to keep the peace between. Frank and Pesh.
    A couple of Tools for you true Scroll/Turner Neanders.

Dale T's skills go beyond wood. He's a pretty good seamstress too.....Thanks Pesh. Yes he's worse in person

Our hostess Angi was very tolerant and a great help for our event. She's an artist and was amazed by Bill's fine craftsmanship.
    We gave her a gift bag with a new shop tool inside. She came back a few minutes later saying "they fit just fine" at which point most of the table broke into the cold sweat .

Thanks again Big Time:
    1. Dino. (Too Generous!!!)
    2. Bill, for the DVD
    3. RD Lawton from Rockler. Nice goody bags.
    4. Jackie & Keith for the SMC hat.
    Erin you were very brave and tolerant of our childish antics.
    Thanks guys, I'll wear the Cheddar title with shame .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 04-22-2006 at 3:16 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 153pt; HEIGHT: 44.25pt" o:button="t" href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php" alt="Sawmill Creek" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smclogo.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\TYLERH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image001.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape><O></O>
    Dear Significant Other.
    Your loved one was with Tyler J. Howell at an officially sanctioned SMC event.<O></O>
    This Item is a certified shop tool and not to be confused with wearing apparel.<O></O>
    Certificate of Authenticity.<O></O>
    Tyler J. Howell<O></O>
    Chief of Picture Police.

This certificate was attached to everyones shop tool.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

After reading Tyler's post about our visit, I realized I slighted Bill in not thanking him for the DVD he provided as a door prize.

Sorry Bill, just too much info for this little pea brain to comprehend in what was much too short a time.

I guess Pesh and Cousin John are still paddling upstream to Peshtigo. It may be a few days before we hear from them. It's a long way up river. Hopefully they left breadcrumbs along the way down so they could find their way back.

Again, thanks to all. It was a great day.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.