Thread: Table Saw Maintenance...

Table Saw Maintenance...

I have had my Delta Contractors Saw for about a year now. I expect that there is some maintenance I should do every so often. I figured a good blowing out of the machine with the air nozzle. I think maybe I need to grease something as when i raise and lower the blade heighth wheel I get a little squealing noise. What is the best thing to use for this? Any other annual maintenace things to be done? It is still in tune, makes nice square cuts, I check for squareness of the miter guage to the blade and same for the fence adjustment. Seems to stay put.

Thanks,
    Corey

Corey, I'd use a dry type lubricant if possible. Graphite comes to mind. I'd be afraid anything wet would attract saw dust and end up becoming a paste that gums things up. Also seems I read here lately where someone used paste wax with good results. A spray DRY silicone might be ok, but I've never tried it. I'm sure others will chime in with what works best for them. Other than that, just do a quick recheck of all the setup measurements as outlined in your owners manual to verify everything is where it's supposed to be. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

You may use silicone if you're sure it will never come in contact with your workpiece. Silicone on wood makes it impossible to finish. I use a CRC molybdenum disulfide spray or a dry lubricant spray from LE (Lubrication Engineers). Sorry, I'm 8000 miles from my workshop or I'd give more exact info. You can find it on the www.

Teflon spray

Hi Corey

I used a Teflon spray from the Blue Borg everywhere except blade tilt and height rack and pinion gears. I used a LIGHT coating of grease there-call me chicken. Stopped the squeaking anyway

Curt

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Your right!

Blowing it out with compressed air will cure most of the maintenance problems down there. The squeak is probably from a worm gear caked with sawdust. I use an old toothbrush to clean it out. Follow up with one of the dry lubes mentioned above or paste wax. Also put a little paste wax on the cast iron table. Your fence may also need a little lube or wax on the rails. If everything is staying aligned, keeping it clean is all you need to do. BTW, same goes for the blades, keep them clean and inspect every now and then for chips, resin accumulation, etc. If they don't cut wood like cutter when clean, then take them to a good sharpener.

Hi Corey - Getting the air nozzle out is a good idea. I lube the gears with white lithium grease...it sprays on like a thick liquid but dries like wax and repels saw dust.

It's good time to check the alignment of everything, and check the belt tension.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Scott I have checked the alignment once a month to see how it performs since I didn't know what to expect. Still on the set up I gave it. I have a link belt on it but seems to be just fine. It needed adjusting after the first month but after that it seems fine. I think I will just use a little paste wax on the worm gears, I have it on hand. Thanks all!

Corey