Restoring the old Oliver 159 lathe, in case you missed the prior threads here they are.
After helping out my wife in the flower garden I was able to get back out to the shop and work on the next piece of the old Oliver lathe.
This is the tailstock portion which was heavily caked with old paint but wasn't all that difficult to remove using the sanding disks and wire brush. I did need to use a flat point screwdriver to get into some of the tight spots that the DeWalt grinder couldn't fit into.
There is a portion at the base that I needed to hand sand since it was too tight to get into. I got it the best I could by hand and decided that tomorrow evening I'd go over to dad's and get some of his liquid stripper in a can to get the final spots.
Had a little fun with the black knob that sits atop the lever...I took my beer tap handle off and sat it on top of the tailstock lever to see what it would look like. Don't think it would hold up for very long so I'm thinking a Hurst shifter handle or one of those pistol grip handles Mopar used on their Chargers...yeah it wouldn't be Chevelle SS but being a gearhead I like all the muscle cars.
Next step is going to be shooting some self etching primer on all the bare metal surfaces, start working on the motor/drive assembly. Got an idea for a switch panel to make it more user friendly and incorporate some custom touches to the "dash" of this beast.
So this was today's progress, back to my real job tomorrow and I won't get to devote as much time as I did this weekend to the restoration. But I have all week to think about paint choices. Thanks everybody for looking, it's been fun so far.