Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver lathe..update#2

Oliver lathe..update#2

Restoring the old Oliver 159 lathe, in case you missed the prior threads here they are.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35225

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35249

After helping out my wife in the flower garden I was able to get back out to the shop and work on the next piece of the old Oliver lathe.

This is the tailstock portion which was heavily caked with old paint but wasn't all that difficult to remove using the sanding disks and wire brush. I did need to use a flat point screwdriver to get into some of the tight spots that the DeWalt grinder couldn't fit into.

There is a portion at the base that I needed to hand sand since it was too tight to get into. I got it the best I could by hand and decided that tomorrow evening I'd go over to dad's and get some of his liquid stripper in a can to get the final spots.

Had a little fun with the black knob that sits atop the lever...I took my beer tap handle off and sat it on top of the tailstock lever to see what it would look like. Don't think it would hold up for very long so I'm thinking a Hurst shifter handle or one of those pistol grip handles Mopar used on their Chargers...yeah it wouldn't be Chevelle SS but being a gearhead I like all the muscle cars.

Next step is going to be shooting some self etching primer on all the bare metal surfaces, start working on the motor/drive assembly. Got an idea for a switch panel to make it more user friendly and incorporate some custom touches to the "dash" of this beast.

So this was today's progress, back to my real job tomorrow and I won't get to devote as much time as I did this weekend to the restoration. But I have all week to think about paint choices. Thanks everybody for looking, it's been fun so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    Restoring the old Oliver 159 lathe

...... start working on the motor/drive assembly. Got an idea for a switch panel to make it more user friendly and incorporate some custom touches to the "dash" of this beast.
    Steve, I don't know diddlely squat about electricity but mine is wired to start and stop from a remote switch instead of the switch built into the reeves drive crank. It also has a reverse switch back by the motor. Both are pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller
    Steve, I don't know diddlely squat about electricity but mine is wired to start and stop from a remote switch instead of the switch built into the reeves drive crank. It also has a reverse switch back by the motor. Both are pretty handy.
    Curt that is what I want to do with mine as well....when I get to that point would you mind giving me some advice or sending some pics of yours so I can see what you did?

Are you painting the flames on the headstock or the tailstock?

Don't forget the spindle height verses your elbow height. It's a good excuse to jack it up!

Nice work - at this rate you will give Karl a run for his money.
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Hey Steve ya going to paint her candy apple red??? I think flames shooting of the headstock would really make it stand out. Looks like it is coming right along. You'll have her purring before to long.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for posting your progress on this Steve, almost like being there watching.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Thanks everybody for looking, it's been fun so far.
    Hey Steve,
    It’s been fun for us too!
    Thanks,
    Frank

OK, I'm probably going to say something that a long time rebuilder probably already knows....when you paint, not everything gets painted, right? bottom of the tailstock where it meets the bed is one spot I'm thinking of.....

can't wait for the final update. love these types of projects.

Looks like a great start! I have a 2159 that I hope to tackle sometime soon, I'm anxious to learn from your experience...thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Salter
    OK, I'm probably going to say something that a long time rebuilder probably already knows....when you paint, not everything gets painted, right? bottom of the tailstock where it meets the bed is one spot I'm thinking of.....

can't wait for the final update. love these types of projects.
    Pat, I will use masking tape to cover the top of the bed rails and the areas of the headstock, tool rest base and tailstock that the bed rails come in contact with to qvoid paint getting on those areas. I will also tape off the tag in the lower left corner of the lathe which has the name Oliver on it as well as the model # and serial #. I will leave the knobs and hand wheels off it until painting is done.

And yes there will be flames and pinstriping used when the painting is done. That pulley cover plate has got to have flames on it for sure.

Still undecided on colors.....

I like that idea of the Hurst shifter handle!! Coming along great Steve. You move fast!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Hey Steve ya going to paint her candy apple red???
    And yes there will be flames and pinstriping used when the painting is done. That pulley cover plate has got to have flames on it for sure.

Steve.....put that thing back to the original paint...

But I have all week to think about paint choices.
    Let's be careful with this "I have all week" stuff. That kind of talk will get you behind. You have a deadline. Time is short. You have much to do.

You may have to give up your day job to be sure you finish in time.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fried
    ..... Don't forget the spindle height verses your elbow height. It's a good excuse to jack it up! ......
    Oh yeah! Make it a Low Rider with pneumatic riser bock thingies. Up high for bowls and down low for spindles.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Oh yeah! Make it a Low Rider with pneumatic riser bock thingies. Up high for bowls and down low for spindles.
    Actually I do have a kit (Air Lift) to do this application for a low rider pickup that we were going to do and then thought better of it.

Maybe I should ask the question how many think I should paint it orginal green or trick it out? If someone wants to do a poll (since I don't know how) feel free.