Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Bowl.....Honduran Mahogany

3rd Bowl.....Honduran Mahogany

Well yesterday one of my granddaughters got married. As our home is 1/2 mile from the church, we got selected as the bride's wedding party staging area for the pre-ceremony dressing of bride and bride's maids. With my daughter here from Phoenix, my wife, both of my grandaughters and 5 brides maids.........Pardon me ladies......It was too much estrogen for a couple of guys to take...........So my daughter's fiance and I drove to the new lumber source I found in Moscow, Idaho. I procured some Honduran mohogany. We returned home...the bridal party was on the levee of the Snake and Clearwater Rivers taking wedding photographs and were going directly to the church. We rushed to the shop; cut and glued up a couple of bowl blanks. Here's the one I turned this afternoon. Honduran mahogany, 5" x 3 1/4"....side 1/8-3/16" thick.....bottom 1/4"....3rd bowl attempt....

I need to try some a new form on the next blank...........

Andy....there are two worm holes ....1 in the side and 1 in the bottom......you could use it for ice cream but you'd have to eat it quickly!

Comments welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-24-2006 at 8:59 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Ken that is one awesome bowl. Are the strips burnt in? Ken you did good on that one buddy. I love turning mahogany. Is that bowl a glue up Ken? I just glued two 14" sqaures by 2 3/4" deep pieces for the main salad bowl. Hopefully this will yeild at least a 13 1/2" by 5" deep bowl. I also got ten 8" bowl blanks for the regular salad bowls. I sure hope they turn out at least close to the same. Let me know about the glue up Ken. I used Gorilla glue on mine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yes........Bernie.....that's a glue up. The bottom most burn line is the glue joint. I bought 2' of 2" Honduran Mahogany and cut it in half. Glued it up and then cut it in half to get 2 small bowl blanks. I talked with a very skilled segment hollowform turner here in Lewiston. He told me he uses nothing but original "red top" Titebond glue. So........that's what I have been using.

Yes....the stripes are burned in.....
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-24-2006 at 12:14 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald

Andy....there are two worm holes ....1 in the side and 1 in the bottom......you could use it for ice cream but you'd have to eat it quickly!

Comments welcome!
    Um, since Andy hasn't responded yet, let me ask this question, Is there another way to eat ice cream???

Nice bowls BTW

Well yesterday one of my granddaughters got married. As our home is 1/2 mile from the church, we got selected as the bride's wedding party staging area for the pre-ceremony dressing of bride and bride's maids. With my daughter here from Phoenix, my wife, both of my grandaughters and 5 brides maids.........Pardon me ladies......It was too much estrogen for a couple of guys to take...........So my daughter's fiance and I drove to the new lumber source I found in Moscow, Idaho. I procured some Honduran mohogany. We returned home...the bridal party was on the levee of the Snake and Coolwater Rivers taking wedding photographs and were going directly to the church. We rushed to the shop; cut and glued up a couple of bowl blanks. Here's the one I turned this afternoon. Honduran mahogany, 5" x 3 1/4"....side 1/8-3/16" thick.....bottom 1/4"....3rd bowl attempt....

I need to try some a new form on the next blank...........

Comments welcome!
    Almost sounds like the theme for a "country song!
    Great looking bowl, mahogany is a beautiful wood.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Awesome job on the bowl Ken! You are doing fantastic.

And congrats on the wedding, upcoming wedding, and getting your shop done (yeah, right )
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

7. Nice work, Ken - the finish looks good on this bowl.

Man Ken, you must have been turning in your dreams before you got a lathe. Real nice bowl.

Ernie

Ken! Ken! Ken! You have truly been swallowed into the bottomless chasm that befalls those who go round and round.

Your grand-daughters wedding. You're out looking for turning material. TSK! TSK! TSK! Although, I can't blame you for wanting to get away from all that estrogen.

That being said, that bowl is very pleasing to my eye. You are progressing very quickly in your turnings. I would expect, that soon, you'll be asking how to make flat stuff like shelves.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

10. Looking good Ken, you are really cranking them out!

Keep them and the pics coming!

Cheers!

Nice Bowl Ken!! I trust that you cleaned the glue and sawdust off of your tux before you went to the church.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

12. Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Nice Bowl Ken!! I trust that you cleaned the glue and sawdust off of your tux before you went to the church.
    Man that is a funny mental image, Ken out in the shop, the family waiting, Ken in the Tux.......... (with an apron on, of course)............

"Just a minute guys, I'm almost done with the buffing......"

yep, I can see the lot of you smiling and noding from here

Way to go Ken That is a great bowl with great form and finish. Great way to hide the glue line. Original Titeboind is all I use for glue ups as well. Great Job on this one
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

......Andy....there are two worm holes ....1 in the side and 1 in the bottom......you could use it for ice cream but you'd have to eat it quickly! ......
    Not a problem Ken. As a founding member of ICEGENE (Ice Cream Eaters Guild of Eastern New England) I have an innate talent for determinig the maximum speed at which to consume said nectar of the gods in order to preempt spillage, wastage, and brain freeze. The relative humidity, dewpoint, moisture content of the wooden vessel at 0 degrees Celsius, are just a few of the items that are simultaneously factored in determining the speed.
    Only the Blue Roads

That is a fine looking bowl Ken! What's the finish?