Thread: Caulk Question: What the diff: Latex vs Siliconized Latex?

Question Caulk Question: What the diff: Latex vs Siliconized Latex?

Again, too many choices. I've typically been using white latex caulk for all my caulking needs. Why would I ever want to use white siliconized latex caulk? Tradeoffs? Benefits? Different Applications?

Thanks, Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Again, too many choices. I've typically been using white latex caulk for all my caulking needs. Why would I ever want to use white siliconized latex caulk? Tradeoffs? Benefits? Different Applications?

Thanks, Todd.
    Siliconized latex caulk is typically a better caulk than latex or acrylic latex in a number of ways. Longevity, "gun"-ability, toolability, to name a few. The different manufacturers arrive at this designation a couple of different ways. One is to actually add silicone in some form or another, occasionally (but not always) to the detriment of the paintability factor. Check the label for a claim of "paintable." The other way is to modify the caulk such that it acts similar to silicone caulk, without actually having any silicone in it.

Here's what I do as a painter: if I am caulking for cosmetics on an interior, I use the acrylic latex (I think it flows better than the straight latex), but longevity is not really an issue. For exterior use, I go with the siliconized version for the added longevity, though I seriously doubt the 50-year claim many of the brands come with.

My $.02
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Great responce. I would only add that silicone caulk and adhesives (basicly interchangeable) are excellent waterproof adhesives for dissimilar materials. To glue metal, glass, plastic to each other or to wood, you can't find much better. It is also and excellent adhesive for affixing tiles to wooden or particleboard substates. The adhesive is slighitly flexible and will allow wood movement without failing or damaging the item being glued.
    Howie.........