Thread: Anyone familiar with Avenger dado blades?

Anyone familiar with Avenger dado blades?

Does anyone here know if Avenger dado blades are any good? I saw a set on their website for $45. <TABLE class=table_product_summary cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=140 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text_main align=middle>Model #: 10026</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Liem, I've had good success with the 6" stacked Avenger set. I've seen comments from others who were not completely satisfied with the cut quality from the Avenger blades, but I've not had any problems with mine. The price in the link you included is the lowest I've seen for the 8" set. I see from that site that Avenger is out of business, so the site is simply selling the remaining stock.

- Vaughn

My 8" set works very good on my Unisaw. It didn't work so good on my old Craftsman contractors saw. The difference is arbor slop on the Crapsman. If your saw blades fit very tightly on your arbor I would say that you would get good results too. It is a good value, not a great set. Yes, Avenger is OOB

Freud or Avenger? $95 vs $45

Should I pay $95 for a set Of Freud sd208 or should I go for the $45 Avenger set? I know Freud is a better set but Avenger is half the price. It's kinda hard to decide.

Oh, by the way I have a Dewalt 746 (1 3/4 hp). Which would you guys recommend 6" or 8"?
    Last edited by Liem Tran; 04-27-2006 at 5:46 PM.

If the extra cost isn't going to cause you to go hungry, the Freud is probably the better investment. If you do happen to have problems with the set, you know the company will be there to back it up and make things right. (Charles from Freud is a regular here, which is a big plus.) On the other hand, if the extra $45 would be a bit tight on the budget, then the Avenger set is probably a good bet for the price. Since you've got a pretty good saw, I'd guess you won't run into the kind of arbor slop Robert mentioned, so the Avenger set will likely work fine on your saw.

Personally, I've not had a need for deeper dados than my 6" set can cut, so I'd probably get another 6" set, since it's not as hard of load on the saw as an 8" set. I'm sure there are others here with more experience who have a different opinion.

- Vaughn

Went with Freud

I bought the Freud sd208. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but i'm pretty sure it'll do just fine.

Definately 6"...too much metal mass with the 8" for that saw