Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Stair Job / Project of "06"

Favorite Stair Job / Project of "06"

Well 2 week ago I was getting it together and going over paper work to get my taxes done. Yea I know last minute, but when you owe, might as well pay up at the last minute. And reminded of my favorite job of 2006.
    What made it a favorite-
    1-A lot of what I do is subing, where someone else designs and I put their ideas together, of course that calls for spliting the coins. Now and then I get my own contracts and get to be the designer/ salesman / craftsman, and keep all the profit $$.
    2-The project was less then 2 miles from my home, very , very rare. The homeowner saw me doing his neighbors stair remodel and had me come look at his.
    3-He and his wife were really great people, he was retired and had an after retirement business at home. He had a second, small office in the garage, so we would BS all day as I was working. I also took over 1/3 of his garage to store stock and store my TS , saw horses, and bench ( saved a lot of loading in my trailer ).
    4-Not only did they give all freedom in design, but One "really" good part was ( I work on draws ), all I had to do was mention money and he wipped out the check book and said how much Roger.

The first 2 shot are the " before" pics, standard contractor "tunnel stairs and wall rail" with carpet.

Cont.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just love those types of customers.

As I started to do the demo. I notice a 42" knee wall on the wall side and made a suggestion to change this over to a balcony w/ railing, they loved the idea and I made a quick quote and got a " do it". One design consideration was that the owner wanted to keep a wall rail, plus what you don't pick up in the pics is that their walls have one of those Faux ( sponged like )wall finishes the would be almost imposible to match up for any patching, so I designed so as to cover up any demo work, to elem. any patching.
    pic 1 is the bottom with the 2 lower winders I incorporated , I might mention the bottom starter step took a 30" x 72" glue-up to cut the tread and keep the grain running right. I Had to make a custom starter step, but I usually prefer to make my own, rather than buy one.
    2-is the going up view
    3-is the bottom newel
    4-side view w/ balcony to his main office
    5-is a side upper shot

CONT.

I felt the balcony worked out good with the stair and the homeowner loved it.
    pic6-is the balcony
    7-is the upper stair wrap which had to be padded out on the door side to meet ctr. of rail , I also wrapped the balcony ends to match ,also it covers any demo.
    8-close-up of the upper wall wrap, and trim , which I made to match the tread nosing profile.
    9-is the wall rail as it transitions past the balcony. I had decided on a wall board to cover up where the orig. wall rail was mounted, so no patch-up

I might add I am now at their request working up a cost on redoing a built-in small emterment ctr. in his balcony office

Roger

Beautiful job Roger. I bet it will bring in a lot more work to you!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's really nice Roger! Red Oak I presume?
    How many hours did that project take you to design, build, install and finish?

Kris

Looks great Roger!!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Wow Roger.
    Changing the world one board at a time .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on just a minute there, Roger!!! Different house between the "before" and "after", right???? Wow!!! What a magnificent difference! I can see where you'll be getting a lot of referrals from that! Great job!!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Nice job Roger.

Richard

Great looking stairs

I think "WOW" says it all............

Thanks all for the comments.

Kristian---yes all Red Oak--design time didn't take long, about 1 1/2 hrs. with client, showing rail, newel,and baluster selections and my recommendations, along with a not firm SWAG on price. I can pretty much picture in my mind what I want to do. then about 3 hrs. or so to make some measurements and a rough sketch, to figure out the parts and pieces. price them out and est. time, profit, and a allowance for the unknown, and little time to write up the bid and contract, and collect a deposit. Install - didn't figure it out in hours, in weeks ( I work alone ). I don't do the finishing ( to time consuming ), client wanted to do, so I just left him a bouch of scrap for samples and advised him on what would give him a good finished product. He did a good job on the finish, rail and balusters smooth as a babys butt, I think he spent 2 or 3 months doing it.

Roger

That's awesome work, nice job! It looks great!

Corey

Roger

That is a great piece of work, I bet your work increased the value of that house signficantly.

Nice that you didn't have to do the finishing!

Jay

Amazing, really changed that house. What do your clients think about you bringing all your teddy bears to a job site? Oh well, if you do work like that I don't think they will mind the bears.