Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Table (with pics)

Router Table (with pics)

I'm putting together a nice router table from ideas I've seen around this forum, Norm, and others. Most of the table is MDF, because it's flat and because it's HEAVY! Here's some pictures of the project, just for kicks.

I started by making the base with dado slots for the frame.

1.jpg

Next the top: 2 pieces of MDF glued together (HEAVY!)

2.jpg

Next to work on the inner-frame. The middle part is obviously where the router will sit. The top of the table will tilt up (like the table from Tokyo member) to change bits easier. The front will hopefully be fiberglass. Bottom middle will be a large drawer. Right side will be a door and left side will be 3 drawers.

3.jpg

Here's the power on/off on the right side of the machine that will sit just under the top:

4.jpg

Here's the furthest I got today:

5.jpg

At this point I was making some plywood cuts for the drawers when my 3HP Craftsman contractors saw started making some screeching noises. Unfortunately, the noise sounds expensive. Tried starting it up once more......and the blade barely moved (along with loud screeching noise). Not good. I'll be taking things apart to see what's going on. Bearings shot?

I'd take anyones advise on what to do next about my table saw..........I'm kinda stuck without it
    Last edited by John Kain; 03-22-2006 at 6:10 PM.

YUP sounds like bearing to me. Make sure the belts not slipping.

Unless it's just a belt - unlikely unless it slipped off and got stuck - do not turn it on again. Get the arbor and trunion off and pull the bearings.

Replacing them should be easy. Don't buy them from sears if you can avoid it. Bearings are easy to size just take a micrometer to the OD, ID ( the shaft) , and thickness. Then get a high end Prelubricated sealed beraing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    Unless it's just a belt - unlikely unless it slipped off and got stuck - do not turn it on again. Get the arbor and trunion off and pull the bearings.

Replacing them should be easy. Don't buy them from sears if you can avoid it. Bearings are easy to size just take a micrometer to the OD, ID ( the shaft) , and thickness. Then get a high end Prelubricated sealed beraing.
    I'd just pop em out and got to a local bearing house. They'll be able to either match em or reccomend an upgrade. I agree with getting sealed bearing.

john, check the obvious first, is the arbor nut tight? .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Yeah, I checked the arbor nut and it was OK.

I'll try replacing the bearings maybe this weekend. Looks like I'm outta luck for awhile.............

That router table looks unbelivably just like the one I built, I'll put a pic up of mine!
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

So here's an update on the table saw............tell me what you think. I took the motor apart in stages. I used to be an mechanical engineering major before switching to medicine, so I have "some" experience with this stuff.

Here's the arbor assembly. You can see the larger ball bearing in the middle. It works great. Spins around the axis like a champ.

9.jpg

So I moved into the motor housing a got to the second bearings. This one (on the far right end, smaller) does NOT spin. No movement whatsoever. I'm guessing if I change it out I'll have a working TS again. That is, unless I screwed up the motor by now.

This started off as a mess. Couldn't get the screws out to open the motor assembly. I guess they used locktight or something. Propane torch....nope, penetrating oil.....nope. Finally stripped the heck out of them before getting one of those "stuck" screw removers with the reverse threads. Worked fantastic.

So, any ideas how to get that bearing off of the rod? Even if I manage that, I'll have to find a hand press in order to get a new one on.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mmmm...beer

Okay, I know you're in the throes of a busted table saw, but I just have to comment on the corny kegs holding up the router table sides. Are you going to brew up a Porter Cable Porter? A Bosch Bock perhaps?

I would use cornies to hold up woodworking stuff too...but they're always in the kegerator...

Tim

Mmm...homebrew and woodworking, two of my favorite things.

John,
    I've taken a number of motors apart. I even worked in a motor repair shop in my younger days. So here's what I would do first what's on the end of the motor shaft that we cant see. If it nothing I try to hit it with a wooden malet (don't use a steel hammer). If you need to you may have to heat the bearing race to get it out. Either the bearing is going to come out with the Armature or it will stay in the end bell. In either case you will need a set of bearing pullers. If there is an automotive parts shop nearby like autozone or Napa they may be able to press it out for you.
    Good luck

Ok. May be a problem. Maybe not.
    I had a rockwell delta similiar. Bearings went out.
    Got some new ones, and pressed them on.
    What I did not know was, the shaft that goes through the armature, with bearings on both ends, was, a two-piece shaft. Not a solid one piece shaft.
    It was a shaft within a shaft.
    When I pressed the last, outer bearing on, it pushed the shaft together, making it shorter, about a 1/4". Following me?
    I noticed this only when I went to assemble everything.
    Shaft was to short to fit back into the housing. Took some time to figure out how the heck the shaft got shorter.
    I had one heck of a time getting that shaft back to the right length.
    Called Rockwell Delta [porter cable] and priced a new armature.
    This was 15 years ago probably. $100.00 .WOW!!
    I finally did get it straightened out and running again.
    Just a note to watch for this. Have no idea whether yours is a two-piece shaft.

Looking good on the router table!!

Here's the new information on this table saw. I emailed Craftsman describing the bearing and it's location in order to get it's exact specs (ID & OD). They emailed back that they don't provide that type of service over the phone or internet and it would require either sending out a Sears repairman or sending the motor in to the shop. Nice. So I thanked them for their wonderful customer service, told them I'll be buying many Craftsman products in the future and strongly hinted that they note the sarcasm.

I could not get the bearing to budge. So I took it over to the grinder and ripped off all but the inner ring. Couldn't budge the inner ring, so I ground it somemore untill I noted something that REALLY pissed me off. The inner ring is fused to the axis. No way to get it off. So I hooked it up to my grinder, centered it, and basically machined it to 15mm using a caliper. I ordered a 15mm ID double sealed bearing from McMaster and I'll give it a try. Who knows if it will work. I do know, however, that after my Craftsman router died after 2 years of service and after this table saw debacle...........I won't be purchasing craftsman power tools anymore.

OK, table saw is machined to 15 mm and awaiting McMaster bearing.....

In the meantime....here's the router table top done today. That's Home Depot Laminate in black. Why black you say? Free!!!

Note the edge of the laminate on the left side of the 2nd pic. Can't make it out? Too bad! That's why I got the black laminate 2' X 4' free!!!!

Black isn't the best....but.......
    Last edited by John Kain; 03-25-2006 at 3:41 PM.

Router table top.....................

99.jpg

Here's the pic with the scar on the left side of the laminate......

Can you find it? I got this 2ft X 4 ft panel for free because of the defect!

3.jpg