Thread: Can't stay logged in.

Can't stay logged in.

I belong to a number of discussion groups. SMC is the only one that logs me out when I leave the forum, requiring logging in again if I revisit the same day. Is there a practical reason for this?

Dunno if there's a particular reason it works that way, but there's a checkbox on the login screen that says something like "Remember me on this computer". Click on that when you log in: it sets a cookie in the browser so when you come back to SMC, it logs you in automatically. It's a one-time thing...last time I had to type in my username and password was a couple months ago when they changed servers.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I do check the 'remember me' box. I do clean out cookies every time I reboot. But that's not the same as just leaving the site. Oh, well. Minor issue, not a major thing. My fingers work and I still have all of them so I can type OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    I do check the 'remember me' box. I do clean out cookies every time I reboot. But that's not the same as just leaving the site. Oh, well. Minor issue, not a major thing. My fingers work and I still have all of them so I can type OK.
    When you say "leaving the site", are you:

1. logging out and leaving the browser running,
    2. logging out and closing the browser,
    3. just closing the browser without logging out, or
    4. just going to a different site in the same browser session?

Deleting the cookies will definitely force you to reenter your username/password, but just rebooting should not. 'Course, I only reboot this laptop about every other week on average, so what do I know...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Frank,

When you say you clean your cookies out on each reboot---that's the problem. In order to stay logged in, your cookie must stay put. As far as leaving and coming back (in the same session), make sure your browser is actually saving cookies. If cookies fail (e.g. they're turned off in your browser or killed by a firewall), the session is automatically maintained via the URL (which is lost when you surf away from the site). Thus, I would guess you might have cookies turned off or have a system such as ZoneAlarm interfering with they're storage..
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I believe the problem occurs when I close the browser, not only when I reboot. Would be nice to stay logged on but I'm a very careful internet user and have protections against all (I hope - all) the bots, buggies, etc. Sometimes even the good guys get shot down in the process.

Indeed, it sounds like a security setting to me.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator