Thread: Used Machinery Dealers??

markus shaffer Guest

Used Machinery Dealers??

I'm thinking of changing some of the machinery in my shop to better accomodate the type of work I'm doing these days. I've been looking on the web for dealers who sell used machinery so that I could get an idea of what my machines would be worth when it comes time to sell them. However, I've not had good luck finding anything but pretty serious industrial machinery. I was wondering if anyone knew where I might look to get prices for used Powermatic and Delta machines. Basically I'm just trying to get an average of what these machines are selling for. I have no intentions of overpricing when it comes time to sell, but I'd like to avoid selling to a dealer if I could. I realize dealers have to make a profit and would offer me less than what the machines are worth. When it comes time, I'll definately be posting here so that if anyone is interested the members here will have first access.

The machines in question are:

Powermatic 66 (1ph 3hp) with 50" extention table and motor cover. Included would be a Jointech Saw Train Fence. Original Powermatic Fence(unopened). Beisemeyer Splitter. Overarm Brett Guard. Original Powermatic blade, 2 Jesada blades and a Jesada Stacked Dado set. Jointech router base mounted into extention table and all the accesories that came with the fence; video set, templates, inserts, etc. I know that's a lot of stuff, but I'd definately like to sell it as a package if possible.

Delta DJ-20 8" jointer. Wired for 230 volts. Two extra sets of knives.

Powermatic 15 inch planer. Wired for 230 volts with original 2 sided knives.

All of these machines were purchased new about three years ago and are in very good condition. The Jointech fence is pretty amazing with all the capabilities it has to make so many different joints. I've never used it to it's fullest abilities and don't forsee getting the oportunity to do so. Like I said, I'm really just trying to find out pricing for these at the time being as what these will bring in will help determine if I can afford to purchase other machines. I appreciate any suggestions and input other members might have. Thanks.

-markus

Markus,

I deal a little in used machines. So shooting from the hip:

PM66: With package $1750 - $2000, sell the original fence seperate for $250. I think you must have about $3000 invested, so $2000 would be a good buy for someone wanting the extras.

DJ-20: $1000 - $1100

Planer: $900

This assumes that all the stuff is in excellent condition, and I think would be top dollar. It is best if you can avoid shipping and sell locally. You might check ebay for prices.

Wholesale might be:

PM66: $1000 - $1250

DJ-20: $600

Planer: $500

Good Luck, you must be looking at something nice to be upgrading from those three. I also have the same three machines in my shop.

John

40-60%

Hi Markus,

I use the 40-60% of new cost as a rule of thumb. I know that jointech allows resale of there stuff on their message board. I just paid $1201.01 for my 1990 PM66. It had the stock fence. The shipping put me over the 60% mark when LOML said no to the road trip to get it.

Look on ebay. Go to search, then advanced search and click on compleated items. I think it goes back 90 days.

Where in NYC are you?
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

markus shaffer Guest
    John,

Thanks for the input. those figures were close to what I was thinking, even a bit higher than I thought. I'm considering selling because I've found that I really could use a sliding panel saw, so I made a trip to the Felder showroom on monday to look at their saws. The problem is, my shop isn't all that big and after some figuring and a scale floorplan, I'll have to get a combo jointer/planer to allow for the room for the slider. So I'm just trying to figure all my options and what I can realistically expect to get for the machines I've got now. They are definately not giving those Felder machines away and I havn't won the lottery.. So selling what I've got now will help to finance this move to the panel saw.

Charles,

Thank you also for the input. I didn't know it was possible to search through completed items on Ebay. I did know they held the pages for 90 days, but never realized that they were still accessable. I'm going to go through and see what I can find. By the way, I'm located on the lower east side of Manhattan. Near Houston and 1st avenue if you know the area.

-Markus

Markus,

One thing that I always consider to help the value of anything used is the degree of condition the object is in compared to how it was originally sold. You mention that you have the original Accu Fence for the PM66. I value that much more than the aftermarket fence because I may not like the aftermarket fence you chose. Now the splitter and guard, I see that as an upgrade, to an extent, once again, depending on whether or not someone actually uses a guard. Saw blades are not usually considered, unless you have a Forrest WWII, Freud F410 or other well-respected blade, that someone can get their hands on and examine. Even then, used blades (no matter how used) bring only 50%. I bought my WWII for $60, barely used, shipped to me.

What I am basically saying is that if I were in the market for a Premium cabinet saw, I would look harder at one that was as close to original as possible. Add-ons and other aftermarket stuff usually doesn't bring much more than 50% of the price, no matter the condition. A TSIII fence would probably be the exception, as those are in high demand.

I'd say $1700 would be pushing it for the cabinet saw, mainly because I can go buy one that has never been touched for just a little more.

The DJ-20 might bring $1000, if you found someone that was looking at buying one new, and really wanted a DJ20. At this time, Powermatic has a new Taiwanese made 8" Jointer that is priced cheaper than the DJ20. I know one individual that took delivery of one at his home for less than $1000. Powermatic's USA made 8" jointer will run $1800, which has probably cut them out of the premium 8" jointer field for quite awhile.

Have no idea about the planer, selling a stationary planer is not as easy as selling a used lunchbox.

Selling equipment to buy Felder?

Hi Markus,

As someone who recently sold all of my seperates to buy a Felder combo machine I have some bad news. Whatever price you get for your seperates will barely make a dent in the accessories for your new felder. The price you see for a felder is the "bare bones" and you really need some accessories to get the most out of the machine. If you got the cash for the felder don't worry to much about what you get for your machines because your right "their not giving these things away". I am sure you are aware of the cost I am just talking as someone who has already been where your going.

Mike

Markus,

Wow, a Felder would be sweet. I might be a bit high price wise, the key is condition (excellent/like new), and most important finding someone looking for the package you are offering. If you can't find the right person it will be difficult to get top dollar. Although even at $2k, it is a nice setup. I bought my 66 used, with a couple Freud blades, aftermatket fence, and DML dado head for $1100. I added a Forrest WWII & stabilizer , Delta Uniguard, HTC mobile base, side table and shelf, Biesemeyer splitter, and a few odds and ends. If I sold it would be hard to get the value out of the accessories, but it's one heck of a package. You might start by listing your tools on www.woodweb.com.

Good Luck - John

P.S. I usually buy school machines as reasonably as possible for resale...

Redmond & Sons in Atlanta sells pre-owned equipment. They only have a PM68 listed at present in the table saw area right now, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jeff Watson Guest
    Markus,
    On the subject of a slider, you might consider the mini-max as an alternative to the Felder if price is an issue. I don't have the funds to afford one yet, but I am totally sold on their stuff from what I have heard from people on all of the woodworking message boards. They have good service and a solid product. They run a message board on Yahoo http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MiniMax-USA/ you might want to check out. I have been a lurker on that board for quite a while. Seem like good people.

Jeff W.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with Minimax in any way.