Thread: Drawbar for my drill chuck??

Drawbar for my drill chuck??

I've searched the forum for answers to my problem: keeping my drill chuck mounted in the headstock spindle. The drill chuck has a 2MT arbor. When not using a tailstock and turning small work just mounted to the drill chuck via a mandrel, everytime i come around the right end of the mounted piece, the arbor/drill chuck vibrates loose. It's driving me crazy as it's taking much longer to get that last cut done. I've seen mention of a drawbar used through the headstock only my drill chuck's arbor doesn't have a threaded recess to accept a drawbar.
    Question: Anyone know where i can purchase a drawbar for a Jet mini lathe, also what brand of chuck has the ability to accept a drawbar(or can i purchase just a 2MT arbor to retrofit my drill chuck?)?
    Sorry if this question has been answered but i couldn't find it in the forum.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Jeff Myers

You should be able to get a chuck almost anywhere. I know they sell them at Grizzly and Craft Supply. As far as a draw bar is concerned, a short section of 1/4" x 20 tpi allthread will do just fine. Add a flat washer, lock washer, and nut or a threaded t-handle and you will be set.

You maybe able to find a replacement arbor that is threaded; but I have no idea where you might go to locate one??

NEVER use a chuck on a MT in the headstock without a drawbar to hold it in place...this is EXTREMELY dangerous! For that, just get some threaded rod, a washer and a wing-nut from the 'borg that matches the threading in the end of your MT. (usually 1/4" threaded rod)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Draw bar

Sent you a PM earlier today