Thread: Spraying Latex (stealth gloat)

Spraying Latex (stealth gloat)

I just purchased an Asturo HVLP gun with a 2 quart pot from Homestead Finishing. I also purchased a 1.9 mm tip for it so I can spray latex paint on kid's furniture. I don't plan to do it very often but I have the option if I need it. The SWMBO has already added some painting tasks to the list of projects I'm expected to complete before I die.

Normally, I'd to use this sprayer in a make-shift spray booth that I set up when I need it. This weekend, however, SWMBO has decided we're paint the living room and kitchen of our house. She's been watching too much of that Trading Spaces show because she had me take down the ceiling fan and another light fixture from the ceiling. Then I had to patch the holes in the ceiling where the light and the fan were located. Now it all needs to be painted. The ceiling has that popcorn texture which I've found difficult to paint with a roller because all of those little peices of styrofoam (or whatever it is) thatcome off the ceiling and stick to the roller.

Last time I painted the ceiling, I rented an airless sprayer. I'm thinking I might be able to use my new spray rig rather than renting the airless setup. Since the gun is new to me and I've never sprayed latex with it, I'm wondering if I should even bother trying it. I'm concerned that there will be more over-spray than the airless and produce a big mess. Also, I have a lot of painting to do and I don't really want to spend a lot of time futzing with the spray gun or thinning paint if it doesn't work as desired.

I know there are a few painting gurus wading in the creek. Can you offer any pointers or opinions?

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Rent the airless. You'll save yourself a mess of frustration. It would take a LONG time to paint a ceiling with an HVLP rig and there would be some overspray. I'm not sure how much because I've never done it, but spraying overhead generally creates more overspray. Either way, HVLP overspray is finer than airless overspray, so it carries farther and hangs in the air longer. You'll also find that you will have quite a problem getting coverage such that you can't see the spray "tracks" from the HVLP on the ceiling.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Agree with Jason on HVLP, but....

......would consider rolling it. Why? You have already "sealed" the popcorn the first time. This time will be a whole lot eaiser and will use less paint. I have painted my ceilings twice, and have no problem rolling them. For the expense of a rental for one or two rooms, I personally wouldn't rent, mask, and clean the rig. Whole house, maybe so.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    For the expense of a rental for one or two rooms, I personally wouldn't rent, mask, and clean the rig. Whole house, maybe so.
    Last time I did the whole house and I know what you mean about masking everything and cleaning those sprayers. Maybe I'll give it a try with the roller...

Thanks for the input.

-Kevin