Thread: Splitter w/ a CC Sled?

Splitter w/ a CC Sled?

Does anyone use a splitter when using a cross-cut sled? I've got a fairly large sled and was doing a rip on a small square'ish piece I had just cross-cut (it was stable on the sled so I didn't need the fence). It was some cr@ppy contruction grade 1x12 from HD. ALmost as soon as the front of the piece had passed the blade, it closed down on the blade and stalled the motor. I guess one of the lucky times I only have a contractor TS and not a higher power one, as it probably would have kicked back!

I think it probably moved so soon that even a splitter would not have engaged (unless it is the kind that raises with the blade). A fixed splitter behind the blade would never have caught it as I didn't have the blade raised fully.

Here is a link to one that I have come across in the past

Splitter with cross cut sled

I have used a modified splitter with my Dubby Cross Cut Sled, to keep wood from falling on the blade. But, based on the situation you mention having the wood close up just past the blade, (which I have had happen while ripping on a tablesaw, with the guard on) It sounds like another good reason to use it.

Bubby Board Crown / Splitter

Dubby with crown & splitter:

Dave
    Last edited by David LaRue; 08-27-2003 at 2:26 PM.

That's close to what I want to do. I've even heard of simply using an appropriate sized drill bit stuck into the clearance plate. I just think even these would not have prevented what I had, unless I always raised the blade almost all the way. The distance from the back of the blade to the splitter would still allow the wood to close. I like the kind that raises with the blade and kind of curved with it. Don't think they make it for my model though, or at least hard and expensive to find (Jet contractor).

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz
    ...I like the kind that raises with the blade and kind of curved with it. Don't think they make it for my model though, or at least hard and expensive to find (Jet contractor).
    Sounds like you are describing a riving knife. I have looked for these for my Jet contr. saw as well. It is a great idea but difficult to retro to a saw such as ours. I would love to find one or design one to fit my saw. If you find one, let me know!

Tom

Dave, A question on your Dubby

Quote Originally Posted by David LaRue
    Here is a link to one that I have come across in the past

Splitter with cross cut sled

I have used a modified splitter with my Dubby Cross Cut Sled, to keep wood from falling on the blade. But, based on the situation you mention having the wood close up just past the blade, (which I have had happen while ripping on a tablesaw, with the guard on) It sounds like another good reason to use it.

Bubby Board Crown / Splitter

Dubby with crown & splitter:

Dave

Hi David, A question on your Dubby. Do you find it hard to set the angle on it? I understand you have to line up the end of the fence with a scale. Can that be done accurately? I'm thinking of buying one. Thanks Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Hi David, A question on your Dubby. Do you find it hard to set the angle on it? I understand you have to line up the end of the fence with a scale. Can that be done accurately? I'm thinking of buying one. Thanks Alan in Md.

Actually, I have both the right hand and left hand Dubbys! I really like the Dubby boards. I can't think of an easier way to cut angles, or small panels.

As far as setting the angles, the markings are quite large on the side of the table, which makes it really easy to read and set correctly. In addition, he has marked out the number of sides to a box from 1 to 18. (never have built a box with 18 sides, but it can be done!) You just set the backstop (fence) to the number tighten it down and set the length and off you go.

This past weekend I built a jig for the Dubby from his Boxes video. It provides a zero clearance, support, and measuring capabilities to the left hand board for making jewelry boxes with the wood cut vertically rather than horizontally.

Note: I image a sliding table would be nice too, especially if they emulated the angle setting feature of the Dubby.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David LaRue
    Actually, I have both the right hand and left hand Dubbys! I really like the Dubby boards. I can't think of an easier way to cut angles, or small panels.

As far as setting the angles, the markings are quite large on the side of the table, which makes it really easy to read and set correctly. In addition, he has marked out the number of sides to a box from 1 to 18. (never have built a box with 18 sides, but it can be done!) You just set the backstop (fence) to the number tighten it down and set the length and off you go.

This past weekend I built a jig for the Dubby from his Boxes video. It provides a zero clearance, support, and measuring capabilities to the left hand board for making jewelry boxes with the wood cut vertically rather than horizontally.

Note: I image a sliding table would be nice too, especially if they emulated the angle setting feature of the Dubby.

Dave
    Hi Dave, The Dubby sounds really great. Thanks for your reply. That sounds like an interesting jig to make boxes. Please post one when you're done. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.