Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup Problems

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Sketchup Problems

After seeing the "free sketchup" thread I decided to take a look.

I downloaded the program according to the instructions and everything appeared to work fine. HOWEVER, when I tried to open the program and run I get a pop-up error report labled "Bug Splat" and the program does not start.

I went to the Sketch-up site and tried to determine what might have been the problem. One of the suggestions if download problems were encountered was to try downloading with a different browser.

I uninstalled Sketchup and downloaded it using both Mozilla Firefox, and IE, clearing all cookies and temporary internet files between each attempt. Tried twice with each browser ----- SAME FAILURES.

ANY CLUES ?????????
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken, I've downloaded and installed various versions of SketchUp many times over the last few years, and I've never run into that problem. I wish I could help you.

Good luck.

- Keith

Ken, when the Bug Splat comes up does it give you any sort of message about the failure? Have you sent the Bug Splat report to SketchUp? If you include your e-mail address in the Splat report you may get a response from them. I say "may" because my inderstanding is that the free version of SU comes without tech support so I don't know if they would respond to a Bug Splat.

I would suggest that you uninstall it again and and run a registry cleaner before doing a fresh install. I like C Cleaner from ccleaner.com for that.

I wish I could say do this that and the other thing and it will run perfectly but I've never had any trouble with SU at all.

Another thing you might investigate is video settings. What video card do you have in your computer?

I've heard that some people have problems Installing when they haven't turned their anti-virus programs off beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Ken, when the Bug Splat comes up does it give you any sort of message about the failure? Have you sent the Bug Splat report to SketchUp? If you include your e-mail address in the Splat report you may get a response from them. I say "may" because my inderstanding is that the free version of SU comes without tech support so I don't know if they would respond to a Bug Splat.

I would suggest that you uninstall it again and and run a registry cleaner before doing a fresh install. I like C Cleaner from ccleaner.com for that.

I wish I could say do this that and the other thing and it will run perfectly but I've never had any trouble with SU at all.

Another thing you might investigate is video settings. What video card do you have in your computer?

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran a registry cleanup using Registry Mechanic, turned off Norton, uninstalled old version, redownloaded SU and got the perverbial "bug splat". I tried starting the program from the short cut using "run as" and the SU screen came up with the following error message "faile to create SketchUpMini 179TIH77.dmp (error 5)" and shut down.

Frustrations are growing very rapidly

I guess I will just continue my designs using old brown paper bags and a sharp #2 pencil.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-29-2006 at 1:07 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Ken, stick to it and don't give up! You won't be sorry.

why don't you go ask on the SUp forum site?

Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-30-2006 at 5:25 PM. Reason: removed diret link to another forum - TOS violation

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood
    Ken, stick to it and don't give up! You won't be sorry.

why don't you go ask on the SUp forum site?
    I have already done that.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-30-2006 at 5:25 PM.

I didn't see your post Ken. Which forum did you post it on? Try the Pro User forum.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-30-2006 at 5:26 PM. Reason: removed direct link to another forum - TOS violation

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood
    I didn't see your post Ken. Which forum did you post it on? Try the Pro User forum.
    I put it on a Google Sketch Up Forum -- I have now posted it on the one you show here. ---thanks
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-30-2006 at 5:26 PM.

That's OK Ken!

Say, where is that Google SUp Forum?

Gawd .. millions of Newbies asking questions! I'd like to checkout that forum!

Ken,

I saw your post on the SU forum. I wish I had the answer. Someone ought to come along and offer you some more ideas. I'm sorry my suggestions didn't work for you.

As Joe said, don't give up on it yet. I imagine come Monday someone will have the fix for you.

WOW - I really got something started on the SU Forum. Seems like the folks there don't want amateurs in there asking the "pros" questions. . I got twenty-three (23) responses. Twenty-one (21) of were complaints about "non-professionals" posting questions or anger at Google for offering free SU. None were suggestions as to my problem. Here is my answer I posted there:

First of all, I am not "bone idle". I would have been more than willing to read the help files if I could have downloaded the program (which contains those files).

Where would any of you go if you had a major medical problem? To a qualified medical professional or to someone who has only driven an ambulance for the the last 2 weeks. I would elect to go to a pro.

I am a moderator on the most popular woodworking forum on the net with over 7,600 registered members, both amatuers and professionals. We make no distinction between the two.

I have over 50 years experience in the woodworking field and have NEVER thought of myself as "better" than a beginner asking questions of me and have answered any question asked when possible.

I come in here for help and am greeted like a
    leper. Those folks complaining here evidently have become SU pros without having to ask questions or request help from anyone. It must be nice to be born an expert.

I am sorry I have invaded your precious space here.

If you have any woodworking questions please visit www.sawmillcreek.org where both the pros and the amateurs will try to help you.

Ken Salisbury

Maybe I will eventually get a solution to my problem on the Google SU Forum. Don't look like the pros are gonna help the "Old Rebel"
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-30-2006 at 5:46 PM.

Ken...........Sorry to hear about you rude treatment..........but.......it makes a guy appreciate "home" doesn't it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, I saw that thread. I don't really think they were attacking you. I doubt any of the folks who have already posted have any idea of how to fix the problem you are experiencing. I wish I knew what to tell you so you could get up and running. I have no clue, though.

There are a number of SketchUp users, some who have been using it since version 1, who are frustrated by Google's decision to offer a free version of SU that is not much different than what they've paid for. I think they are also frustrated by Google saying there is no tech support for GSU and the sudden increase in traffic on their forum from GSU users requesting help on basic things that are covered in the help files and the online tutorials. It has driven several folks who previously had very nice websites offering help to withdraw them due to increased requests for help.

Clearly you aren't one of those who isn't bothering with the help files. I know you would read them if you could access them.

As to your problems with getting SU to run, I hope you'll get someone from Google to give you some idea of what's going on.

Out of curiosity, have you deleted the install file, uninstalled SU, cleared the registry and tried a fresh download?

Ken, did you see Alan Fraser's reply to your post on the SU forum?