Thread: New Thickness Planer

New Thickness Planer

I've been wanting a thickness planer for a long time; finally decided time to purchase. Ridgid 13", model TP1300. See pics below. Notice the left bottom portion of the front left leg is gray while the other parts of the stand are dark? When I opened the box, it was missing the one of the lower legs. I called customer service and they sent it right away. It came within a few days. They never asked about color, though, and I never thought to ask. Not a big deal, just a little very minor irritation. Haven't put any wood through it yet. Perhaps this weekend.

hi,

that's very strange - first, the bottom piece of the leg is missing - then you get a different color? strange all around. although as you say, it's not really a big deal, it would probably drive me nuts every time i looked at it. i think i would be calling them back and telling them i want a leg the same color as the rest of the legs.

i think you'll really like the planer though - i've had that same model for about 2 years and i'm really happy with mine.
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

Hi Ralph ~

Congratulations on the new planer. It's about the best of the lunchboxes.

In peace, Todd

PS: The off colored leg would drive me nuts!

Good Choice

Ralph, congratulation on your new planer

I just bought a Ridgid planer just a weeks ago. So far I really like it. But then I don't have anything but the high school woodshop's monster planer
    I bought the mobile base it is nice and heavy duty. I like the way the dust port comes off so you can easily hose change size if you want. Maybe you could ask for another leg, in the right color. Wouldn't bug me too much though.

Great planer, fair price

Ralph,
    I think you'll like it, I have the same planer and I Love it! Just keep the infeed and outfeed table level and you won't have any snipes. A big plus with this planer is that the blades are readily availiable at The Home Depot, unlike the Ridgid Jointer.
    About the missing leg, you should've brought it back to the Home Depot for an exchange. I think Ridgid sent you the leg from their older model. The older model is identical, the only difference is the color.
    Have fun with it this weekend.

Liem

I'd just paint the whole stand a nice shade of pink and be done with it.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Congrats Ralph. Get-er-dirty.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

You're gonna love this planer, Ralph. I've had the orange beast for over two years and have planed some pretty rugged stock with no problems. Enjoy!

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Ralph..........Congrats! I've had that planer for several years. Works well for me!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....