Thread: Table saw quandry 14" Rockwell or Delta X5?

Table saw quandry 14" Rockwell or Delta X5?

I found a 14" Rockwell table saw that's advertised locally which includes a Beisemyer fence and has a 3 phase motor. That's all I know at this point other than the asking price is $1500.00 obo. I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know the condition yet.

First off, I don't have 3 phase power so I know I'm going to either need a converter or have to buy a new motor. This might be negotiable in the asking price. My other concerns are blades and the shear size of this beast. I know blades this size are a bit pricey and the real estate might be another factor. I currently have a 25' x 25' shop.

Am I biting off more than I can chew (I'm just a hobbiest) with a saw like this?

I also found out tonight that amazon has lowered their price on the Delta 36-L31X-BC50 X5 3HP saw down to $1382.50 as well you get the mobile base for free essentually. Grand total for this including discounts and shipping is $1343.25. Seems like a pretty decent deal to me.

What do you think? 14" Rockwell or a shiney new X5?

Larry

Mmmmm 14" oh baby how deep can you cut?

For my money the 14" saw would win out so long as it were in good shape. Motors are cheap. Just make sure that the mounts are universal.

Blog Entries
    Man, I would go for the X5. This sounds like a no-brainer to me, for all the reasons you have already mentioned. Unless you have an ongoing need for an extra deep cut or you have a Tim Taylor complex, this beast will be nothing but a money pit and you will grow to hate it. I know I would. With the Uni you will probably be up and running the very day it arrives, and for less money. With "the beast", you will be lucky to make that first cut in a month. It seems to me that by the time you get the motor issue solved and you buy a couple of blades for it, you're talking close to 2 grand or maybe even more. So like my dad once told me "Don't buy yourself a job!"

By the way Cliff, motors are NOT cheap. You will need at least a 5HP single phase motor and a 7HP would probably be more appropriate. Price a good Leeson or Baldor and if you still think that's cheap, you make WAY more money than me.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 04-29-2006 at 7:41 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Which to choose- If you want to spend $1500 and have a good saw done deal then the X5 is your answer no question. If you are going to buy the saw once and never be short on saw the 14" is the baby. If you are considering a mobile base having value then you probably aren't in a situation where the 14" will work. They are heavy and should be set down solid. You are looking at a 7.5HP repower or phase converter. 14" blades are not cheap but they are available. The fence is probably a unifence. The 14" will require a thorough inspection for wear, there is a reason it is being sold. The 14" is a great saw but it wiil probably run you $2K+ to be at the same point you would be with the X5. You could also work on the asking price as there will be some wiggle there.
    Chuck

Disclaimer- having used them at work I thought long and hard about getting a PM72 when I got my Unisaw. Big saws are a joy to work with even with the $4K upcharge.

My vote is also for the X5. You will like it!

Al

Is this a hobby or are you starting your own mill? Oh thats right you already answered this question.

What ever you do open your wallet first & see how deep it is, OH & is is really full of money? Think & make your thoughts really real.

After all this thought took about 10 seconds bingo X5 now get busy & make somthing with your new saw & smile all the while.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

The 14" Rockwell will shine in a production setting, and will fairly well swallow up a 25 x 25 shop. The 10" X5 will do everything you need it too, and all the bells, whistles, and accessories available will fit better on the smaller saw.

It depends on which Rockwell 14" you are looking at. If it is the Rockwell RT-40, then it is far superior to any standard unisaw in production. There is no comparison, both in the dust collection, safety features and overall quality of the saw. Most folks have not seen the RT-40 in person and once they do they see the glaring differences. The RT-40 is still produced and list for about 5k. I recently sold my RT-40 and within 12 hours of listing it ( late Sunday night), I had 10 confirmed offers, some were 50% higher than my asking price ( in the same range as the saw you are looking at BTW). Even 30 days after the sale, I continue to get regular offers for the saw.

If it is the older Rockwell, known as the 12/14 then it is not that different than a normal unisaw and I would look at the unisaws first. But, if you want an awesome saw and are not worried about 3 phase, take a hard look at the RT-40

best wishes
    Lou

Thanks everyone! I went and looked at the saw today and it's in pretty decent shape. It's been used by a one man cabinet shop (that is going out of business) and its condition is representative of that. Meaning it's been well taken care of, doesn't look brand new mind you but no signs of abuse. It all works fine (raising and tilting the blade.) I couldn't run it as it was moved from it's normal place in the shop and didn't want to rewire it.

One things for sure, it's big and heavy. This in itself pretty much rules it out for me. The guy is willing to work with me on the price but still, I'm going to have to do the converter or a new motor. So it looks like it's going to be a 10" of some sort at this point.

@ Lou, it's the 12/14 not the R-40. I agree the R-40 would be a nice saw but it all comes down to portability if you will. My shop isn't quite big enough for a saw this heavy. There will be times when I will need to move it from one side to the other.

@ Chris, agreed. The "Tim the toolman Taylor" in me says get the 14" inch! But my shop says "if you do you'll pay for it!"

@ Bart, as you well know a tool like this cost money, but the real expense will come with things like clamps, jigs, clamps, wood, clamps, sanders, clamps, routers, clamps, planes, clamps, chisels, and oh, did I mention clamps?

@ Al, yep it's going to be an X5 or something like it I suppose.

@ Chuck, I agree and the common sense in me keeps saying look the other way (don't let the dark side of the 14" pull you in...) In the long run I'm going to be better off with something like the X5 as I can buy miters and add-on goodies with little fuss or muss.

@ Larry Browning, well I do have a bit of the "Tim the toolman" in me. But as mentioned above the common sense in me is getting the better of me so...

@ Cliff, a converter will probably set me back at least $500.00 (probably more) and a new 5hp (minimum power for this beast) will be around $400-500.00 so it's not that cheap. Of course I'd never have to look for another saw I suppose.

Thanks again everyone! I'm still looking I guess.

Larry

Larry

Well I guess we can all hope & pray you can find a good used Unisaw like this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    Well I guess we can all hope & pray you can find a good used Unisaw like this one.
    Bart,

I'll take it! Umm...wait...how much? Yep, I hoping and looking. There's got to be one out there near me just waiting to follow me home.

Larry

larry
    the 12/14 was not that good of a saw and they can often be found in the under 1k price range.. I would move on and look for another saw. Have you considered a slider ?

lou

I Like New

A new Unisaw with a 5 year warranty for under $1400 delivered? For a Weekend Warrior/Hobbyist this is tough to beat. Slap a Forrest II woodworker blade on that puppy and you'll be in Cuttin' Heaven. Used equipment can be a real steal, but in the end you need to know how to fix it and maintain it. For the money, I'd rather spend my time cutting and shaping vs. diagnosing, locating and replacing parts.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    the 12/14 was not that good of a saw and they can often be found in the under 1k price range.. I would move on and look for another saw. Have you considered a slider ?
    Lou,

It's funny, the guy called me last night and asked it I was still interested in the saw and I told him that it was too much saw for my needs and considering I'd have to deal with the 3ph motor it was going to make it too expensive as well. He asked me to make an offer and I told him I'd have to think about it all. I have a feeling he either hasn't had any offers on the saw or needs to sell it quick. My gut feeling agrees with you, it's not that great of a saw as saws go but if the price is really right should I even continue to consider it?

I have looked breifly at sliders, but again space is somewhat of an issue for me and my thoughts are a decent CS and guide will fill my needs. Do you have a suggestion on a slider? I'm willing and open to all options.

Thanks,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder
    A new Unisaw with a 5 year warranty for under $1400 delivered? For a Weekend Warrior/Hobbyist this is tough to beat.
    Scott,

I know and what worries me is that I'm kind of dragging my feet. Buyers remorse keeps haunting me. Will there be a better machine or deal after I buy it? I know, that always happens so I need to get off the pot and just do it but then...

Larry