Thread: Road trip

Road trip

All you Chicago-area folks - I have to make a road trip next Saturday from Ann Arbor to Fond du Lac, WI. Obviously, this will take me thru the Chicago area mid-day on Saturday, and again later that evening. Any traffic issues that I should know about, avoid, relish, etc? Any input would be most appreciated!

Side note: I'm coming basically empty on the Westbound leg and would happily haul anything that direction for some gas $$. Maybe some lumber from Steve at Hickory & Oak? Just a thought, trying to cope with the gas costs...

Tough day, you'll be going through the heart of Sox territory and then right into the home of the Packer Backers. I see you are doing the right thing and returning the same day.

You have options going through Chicago. Are you driving a car? I used to drive from Holland, Michigan to Rochester, Minnesota at least once a month. Your best route probably varies by the traffic on that day. I'd usually avoid the skyway for sure. Go down to 80/94 and then pick up your route from 294. Most days you would save time, but that might not be true on Saturday. You'd save money for sure. Tolls are 80 cents per booth if you don't have I-Pass, higher on the Skyway. Be sure to have the cash in coins if you don't have I-Pass, the manuals can be slow. I haven't gone that way for a long time, but I think my brother-in-law said there are seven toll booths before you get to I-80 when he came down for my father-in-laws funeral.

Someone from that area will probably chime in.

Larry
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Bad news Dave-- all of the highways on the south side of Chicago are currently under construction. Traffic is gonna suck no matter which way you go.

From what I've heard, 90/94 (aka Dan Ryan Expressway) is to be avoided at all costs. Only 6 out of the normal 12 lanes will be open for the next 2 years. Your least worst option will be to take 94 to 294. Be sure to bring plenty of cash-- the frequent toll booths on 294 will drain your wallet quickly if you don't have an I-Pass. The cash fare is twice as high as the rate charged for those who use the electronic transponders.

Travel strategy for weekend driving on Chicago expressways is to be on the road as early in the day or as late in the day as possible.

Well, good luck with the trip-- hopefully the traffic gods will be on your side!

Dan

Have you considered using one of the two ferries that cross the lake from Michigan to Wisconsin?

The SS Badger ferry (which sets ashore in Wisconsin pretty close to Fond Du Lac) doesn't start until May 12th. However the other ferry going between, Milwaukee and Muskegon is running now. (see link)
    http://www.lake-express.com/

The Illinois Dept of Transportation is STRONGLY advising cars to stay off of the Dan Ryan which is the most direct route. The ferry cost may be somewhat balanced by gas cost for the long way around.

Give it a thought.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Quote Originally Posted by David Richardson
    Any traffic issues that I should know about, avoid, relish, etc? Any input would be most appreciated!
    When you hit the US23/I94 interchange turn around - it's hopeless.