Thread: Started construction on my shop today!

Started construction on my shop today!

Well I started cutting boards to size for my shop's trusses today. I picked up $150 worth of 10' two by fours, and cut most of them in half, which I'll use for the trusses in a few weeks. I ran out of daylight, so tomorrow I will cut the angles off of one end, 60* and then put them in the storage unit with the rest of my tools and the plywood gussets which I cut up last fall. When I get enough money together for the rest of the wood for the walls etc... I'll just have to cut the birds mouths, and then do a quick assembly line putting the trusses together. I'll try for some fuzzy pics in the morning.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Bigger Ned!!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Congrats.........and ditto what Tyler said...BIGGER
    Regards,
    Greg

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Ned. Keep us posted, and as others have said, bigger is always better. You will know when your shop is big enough when you can't see the other end.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

It's good to get started, isn't it Ned! Two years ago today, I put in beems on the piers -the first wooden parts for my shop.

Ned, I know that a lot of us encouraged you to go bigger when you last talked about your shop and you explained that this shop is only temporary. But, even a temporary shop could stand to be bigger.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 04-30-2006 at 9:17 AM.

Good luck Ned. And don't forget to update us often and with pictures! I understand the part about doing X amount and then waiting for more money. I've been in the middle of a remodel for almost a year and a half. It's cost a lot more than I thought it would, and therefore progress has come to a stop/crawl/stop/etc.
    Anxious to see how your's progresses. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Ned,

Sounds like you have a well laid plan and approach to your new adventure. I look forward to your progress pictures also. I am approaching the finish point of my recent 3 week shop rehab and I know how much work these projects involve and I do not envy the work you have ahead of you. We sometimes have to think beyond the present to the future and when it is all done and how nice it will be.

Best of luck......

hi ned,

be sure to check back often - we'll be sure to offer lot's of advice on how to spend your money on the new shop! everything that we couldn't afford in our shops, we'll definitley want for yours - looks like you're off to a great start.
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

Progress report

See all those two by fours stacked up, and the group in front of the pile? those are the short pieces for my trusses. All cut to 60", then cut at 15* on one end. From there half got a 30* cut on the opposite end, and the ones left with 90* got a bird's mouth cut, thanks to John Shaffner and his new shop. Also, see that DP in the foreground? THat's my next to latest 'toyl' 12" Delta benchtop model 11-990. The latest... my scrollsaw, but that's another post...
    Ned

2B1ASK1