Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaver Int. Lathe

1. Beaver Int. Lathe

I posted this at the end of the "So Stu, what lathe" thread, but I guess in the hub-bub of this place is got missed, or you guys are ignoring me........

When I went out to the Demo that the Far East Woodturners Society (FEWS) put on, by Mr. Jean-Francious Escoulen, I got to see the Vicmarc lathes up close and personal, and what Jean do AMAZING stuff with the VL-300.

While I was looking around the Lathe shop of the host, Mr. Sanno, who runs a sort of school, I saw this white lathe sitting there among the blue ones.....

This is the Beaver Lathe, it was designed by the fellows at Vicmarc, and then built by a company in Taiwan, so you get the Vicmarc design on the cheap. This particular lathe had been in use at the school for some time, and it has preformed flawlessly.

I had a good poke at it, and a mini test drive, and it is smooth as silk. Every thing moves on it very well, and locks in place nicely too.

The head swings out 90 degrees, with detentes at 3 or 4 spots (I think).

The motor is 200V with a variable speed controller, it has three pulleys to give you three ranges of speed....

1st pulley 10 - 1000 rpm (Ratio 1:3)
    2nd Pulley 20 – 2000 rpm (Ratio 1:2)
    3rd Pulley 30 – 3000 rpm (Ratio 1:1)

It really looks nice, and I could not believe how smooth it spins and such.
    Everything seems to be where it should be, and the toolrest and the tailstock movement is super smooth.

The on/off switch, speed controller box is on a magnet, so it can be moved around.

Best part...?

190,000 yen ($1730) delivered, with a warranty etc. For comparison, Craft Supplies has only the non-swing head listed, they want $1299 for it,
    (plus shipping and tax) the price I get includes shipping, and tax, for the swinghead.

The new DVR-XP is going to be over $3000, plus shipping....

My buddy with the DVR was also there, and he had a good look at it, and he thought it would be just as good as the DVR,
    maybe even better in some respects.

It looks and feels REALLY well made.

You see, this is why I wanted to go to this meeting

I'm just about sure this is going to be the one, out of fairness, I'll wait for the quote on the DVR-XP, but I found out that one of the reasons the DVR-XP is more expensive in Japan is that the Teknatool guys gave the one dealer here exclusive rigths, thus he has no competition. I have to admit, I do not like that.

So what do you guys think, has anyone else had the chance to see this lathe up close and personal?

I think they even have an outrigger for it, and there is a bed extension that will give my 39" between centers if I want it (20" now).

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 04-30-2006 at 8:29 AM.

So...what's the HP on that puppy? It looks very well made. Hope to see it in the dungeon soon!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Nice looking lathe Stu. Really looks well made. Is it considered a Midi?
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Stu

Looks like it has a 12" swing. Is there a recommended outboard size limit? Is the VS 0-1000, 0-2000, 0-3000 or is the VS just 3 speed ranges. 1000 is much too fast for sanding on the lathe. With the size limit of your shop this lathe looks like a perfect fit. Just remember the lathe will be the cheapest part of your new obsession.

Terry

Two things jumped out at me when I looked at this lathe. What is the max dia? Looks small to me, 12"? Outboard turning doesn't look to promising because of the motor in the way an no way to pull up a tail stock.

Of course you mentioned the head would rotate. With the motor that doesn't look possible but I know you know what your talking about.

Quick story. I had a Craftsman tube lathe like yours. I turned one large out of round piece of spalted hackberry on it (years ago) and it caused soiled undergarments. I didn't have a stand like yours and it literally tried to walk across the garage! I was to scared to get close enough to turn it off. I finished the bowl even so. It was a huge amount of work and I only finished it because it was gift for LOML. I said that was it, no big bowls for me!

Move forward 10 years. Now I have a good lathe, a chuck, good tools and more knowledge. I was self taught and there was no Internet help at that time. I have learned so much off the forums the past couple of years. Now in just the few months I have been back at turning I see the limits of 12" dia. Just last week I was wishing I had more swing.

Whatever you guy, make sure the swing is enough. I bought mine with plans in my head for an outboard turning rig. Just never thought I would want it this quick!

Never seen one, but that does look good Stu. Is it a 12"?

Ernie

Ummm, let's see.

He told us he was buying both of those auction machines.

He told us he was buying a dvr.

What makes us think he's gonna buy this thing?
    Only the Blue Roads

Stu you do what ya gotta do but I would be concerned with the 12" swing which is probably more like 11 1/2". I would also be concerned about outboard turning and have seen the motor is only 1 hp. I just hope in a year or two you will have no regrets going bigger. Just my $1.298. Best of luck in your decision Stu.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

9. All great questions and comments, thanks.

Andy, I just fed the vortex to the tune of $200 for some tools, so get off my back

I tell you, I was set on the DVR-XP, but, after seeing this machine, up close and personal like, I have changed my mind.

It also helps that my buddy, who has a DVR 3000, was really impressed with the Beaver. He admitted that the DVR 3000 is more of a spindle work machine, and limited bowl work, even though it swings out.

The Beaver, the whole motor and the headstock turn as one unit, it is VERY solid.

I'm sorry I did not get a pic of it.

The guy who sells it says that the Vicmarc outrigger unit should bolt right on, but I figure I can make something myself, that will be up to the Job.

This is the blurb from Craft Supply, for the non-swing version they sell.

The Beaver features 12" capacity swing and 20" between centers with quality cast iron construction throughout. Precision machining of the headstock, tailstock and tool rest ensure a lifetime of smooth operation and dependable performance. The Beaver lathe is an exceptional value as it has many of the same features found on professional lathes but at a fraction of the price.

The 1 h.p. Vector drive system provides maximum horsepower for even the most demanding woodturner. Used by Professional Australian woodturners, the Vector drive has a reputation for performance and reliability providing high torque throughout the entire speed range. The Vector variable speed drive system requires 220v 1 phase power and is supplied with an inverter for "plug and play" operation. Also included is a remote on/off switch that can be moved to any position on the lathe for convenient operation.
    It is also reversible.
    The swing over the bed is 12", but honestly with the trees I get here in Japan, I'm not likely to be swinging any 24" bowls.

There are three speed ranges via the pulleys, and then the VS is dialed in to whatever you want.

I think the 20 - 2000 RPM would be good for most stuff.

I think that if you saw it up close, you would be impressed.

Cheers!

Like a MIDI lathe -- ie twixt a jet Mini and Jet 1642 ... but man CraftSupply sells the variable speed jet mini for 379$ US -- and the Beaver is $1699US w/less swing than a Jet 1642 and less HP but the Jet sells for only 1720$... not sure they will sell to many in the USA -- 1300$ more for 2" more swing and 1hp vs 1/2hp compared to the Jet Mini..

Of course in Nippon there you don't have as much choice. Compared to the Nova DVR-XP the Beaver is cheaper but the Nova gives you 1.75 HP, longer bed, 16" swing, 360dg head rotation, etc.. US Price 2199$ or so..

You can see the price differentials in the US are about the same as in Japan about 1500$ -- maybe a little less as you are talking the Beaver w/o a stand.

Now looking at the US spec's the Beaver is a hefty lathe @ 314lbs w/the stand or say probably 250+ w/o the stand. That is much heavier than any of the minis of course and about the same as most of 12" lathes in the US. Actually it's heavier than the Nova DVR-XP ..

I don't think you will go wrong either way, and I doubt you will be turning stuff soon that is bigger than 12" .. that is the only caveat I see. But it's hard to argue with 1300-1500$ in savings anytime... that is about 300-500$ per inch of swing
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

11. Thanks for the good info Michael.

The Jet 1642, is that essentially the same as the Delta machine as the Delta 46-756?

If it is, in at least specs, they want just a tick over $4000 for it hear, and they ask you to wait for the next container to come in...

I know the DVR-XP has more swing, but..... Well I've not gotten the quote from the guy here yet for the DVR, so I'll just see what happens.

Cheers!

12. I got the quote from the fellow selling the DVR-XP.

Local Guy
    NOVA 3000DVR-XP
    SUPERNOVA CHUCK #II
    INSERT 1 1/4-8TPI $3309
    EXTENSION 500MM: $300
    CURVED TOOLREST: $55
    Total $3664

Woodcraft;
    1-1/4"-8 TPI RH Insert $24.99
    TEKNATOOL SuperNova2 $199.99
    HD Bowl Rest, 1" Shank $44.99
    20" Bed Segment $199.99
    Nova DVR XP Lathe $2,219.99
    Total: $2,669.95

Now the local guy will deliver it and help me set it up, but really, I don't think there is much to do on the DVR-XP, it is touted as "Plug & Play"

The Woodcraft price does not include shipping, but my friend had his FedExed and that cost $500, I'm sure I could get it down to $300 with a slower method (Not like I don't have a lot to do anyways).

I guess it comes down to the question of the local warranty being worth $700 of my money, and I do not think it does.

I'm looking really hard at that Beaver.

Cheers!

Hey Stu,

This is a little OT-ish.....but I figured I'd mention that I have the Vicmarc VL175 (14"/40") with the 1.75HP motor. Two speed ranges (10-1000 and 30-3000), outrigger, swivel head. So it's the big brother to the Beaver.

What I want to say is I'm extremely happy with the Vicmarc VL175. Very happy! Smooth and well made.

I've read a bit about the Beaver and if it's made to the same quality level mine is then you'll be very happy.

If you want info on my outrigger like dimensions or construction details, drop me a line. I can e-mail you a ton of pics if you wish.

Cheers,

Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Not OT at all Allan, thanks for the response.

Can you tell me how big a bowl you can turn on that outrigger with the headstock turned? Does it feell solid when doing so, or are you worried about launches?

I sure do like the Vicmarc stuff.

Can you take a few pics of the swivel head assembly?

Thanks so much!

Cheers!

Hi Stu,

I've got too much junk in the way to use the outrigger at the moment, so I haven't tried that part yet. But I've talked to folks who've used it and they love it. BTW, the main outrigger pole appears to be solid steel. Like I said, this is a very solid machine. Even the stand is made from 1/8" steel and the lathe came totally assembled and was lifted into my truck with a forklift under the upper shelf of the stand. It's no Oneway, but it's pretty darn beefy.

Clearance isn't going to be an issue. I think my lathe can swing a 30" diameter platter or bowl before folks tend to get freaked (I was reading some comments on the Oz forums). I'm going to buy the big Vicmarc chuck before swinging anything like that though.

The distance from the lower outrigger support to the centerline of the headstock is about 26.5" so in theory you could swing a 53" platter on my lathe. I'm sure someone has tried it somewhere.

The swivel head moves the motor with the headstock. You simply pull up on the locking pin and spin the headstock. I think the detents are at 0*, 30*, 60* and 90* for my lathe, can't remember about the Beaver. You can see the motor move in these pics.

Cheers,

Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images