Thread: Installing new cutterhead-- I've got questions...

Installing new cutterhead-- I've got questions...

Well, I'm not installing the new cutterhead quite yet-- still gotta remove the old one!

Byrd is currently making a Shelix head for my Rojek jointer/planer machine. The new head won't be arriving for a few weeks yet, but I decided to try removing the old head. I have no experience with this sort of work, so I'm trying figure it out as I go. So far, I've successfully removed the head and the attached pulley and bearing bodies from the machine. Now I'm scratching my head about how to remove the pulley and the bearing retainer rings.

I've attached an exploded diagram of the cutterhead assembly, so hopefully my questions will be a little more clear.
    diagram.jpg
    Question #1: So to remove the pulley (#205-1 on the diagram), I've unscrewed the retaining screw (#205-5) but I am having trouble removing the pin (#205-4). I'm assuming that I need to push the pin out of the channel in the pulley. What's the best way to do this? Any idea which direction the pin needs to be pushed out (from the back of the pulley or the front?) I tried pushing the pin out from both directions with a nail countersink and a few taps with a hammer. The pin didn't budge. I figured I'd get some advice on this one before swing the hammer hard enough to do any damage!
    pulley.jpg
    Question #2: I need to remove the retaining rings that hold the bearing bodies and the bearings in place (#214-3 & #214-4).
    bearing.jpg
    Is this the type of tool that I need to be able to remove the retaining rings?
    https://reidecom.reidtool.com/xephr/..._WITH_ID=75788

They call it a "Retaining Ring Plier Kit" so I'm guessing that this is what I need...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Larson; 04-30-2006 at 9:22 PM.

Hi Dan~

In regards to Question #2. Yes the pliers you linked to are what you need to remove the retaining ring. I purchased my set from ACE hardware for less than half the price of the site you referenced. Hope this is of some help.

In peace, Todd

Dan, The retaining pin you refer to is a key you should be able to remove it from the back. Pushing it out the front. The retaining rings a nothing more than snap rings there are internal and ebxternal. The one on yours look like external. The pliers are inserted in the holes in the rings and pulled off then you should be able to remove the and tap the bearings off.The best way to remove the pulley is to use a gear puller.

Russ, thanks for clueing me in on the gear puller-- I'd not seen one of those before. Looking at the pictures of gear pullers on the Reid website, I think I can see how the tool works. The jaws clamp around the outside back of the pulley and the threaded rod is tightened down on the spindle, which should force the pulley off, right? Is a 2 jaw puller OK for this application, or am I better off with a 3 jaw puller? The pulley is only 2.25" in diameter and 1" deep.

Todd, thanks for the heads up on the pliers. I'll take a look at my local Ace.

Dan

I'd suggest a 3-jaw puller. Its easier to keep secured to the pulley while fitting it on. A little trick with pullers when working alone: use a heavy rubber band or something similar around the jaws so that they stay tight to the pulley. Otherwise you have to use one hand to hold all the jaws in place with one hand, tighten the screw with your other hand and hold the shaft steady with your third hand. Go easy when using the puller, it has a lot of potential to distort a pulley if it gets misaligned.

When you go looking for the retaining ring pliers it might help to know they are also called snap-ring pliers. They may not be used often but they are very handy to have to get those rings off. Happy tinkering.