Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making curved legs with SU

Making curved legs with SU

I have been trying to make a curved leg in SU without too much luck. What I have been successful in doing so far is:

1. Make 2"x2" square
    2. Use push/pull tool to extrude to 6"
    3. Make arc tangential to 6" side down (3"midpoint) to mippoint on the foot (1")
    4. Use push/pull to remove excess part
    Basically this would be the first part of the BS cut

Now the trouble begins
    I make the second curve the same way
    but when I use the push/pull too to remove the second part of the BS cut it gets stuck at the bottom of the curve from the first operation.

So what would be the trick to make this happen? I am apparently doing something wrong. Besides that little snag it's been a pretty cool tool
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Michael, send me the SKP file of what you have so far. I'll see if I can work it out for you. I'll PM my e-mail address.

Like this?

I have to catch a bus in three minutes so explanation will follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Like this?

I have to catch a bus in three minutes so explanation will follow.
    Yep that would be what I would want. Glad my initial post made sense to you When I get home I will send you the file to show of what I did so far

Michael, I just got home so here's the description of what I did. feel free to send the model anyway if you want.

I drew the leg as you specified. 2x2 square and 6" high with P/P. Then I selected a face and made a copy (Move tool+CTRL) and pulled the copy out away from the leg a bit. The distance doesn't matter as long as you pull it straight out from the leg. I repeated that for the other face.

Next, I drew the curve profiles on the faces. Then I used P/P to push the profile through the leg. Then Intersect with model and delete the waste.

A faster way to do it would be to draw the arc on the on one of the back faces, select the two edges on the bottom face that would get removed with the saw. Then select the Follow Me tool and click on the waste area of the profile. Does that make sense?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think I understand what you are talking about... I would use the push/pull on the "waste side" of the arch from the copy of the face? correct... I am still at work so I still cannot play

Yes, Push/Pull the waste. Or use Follow Me on the waste as in the second example. That also works for things such as a router profile on the edge of a board.

I tried the first way and I could not figure it out so I went to door #2 and Ok here is what I got using the follow me tool...

First_leg.jpg

Now how do I get rid of the pesky line Every time I select it it get a gaping rectangular hole.

Thank you soooo much Dave!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Yes, Push/Pull the waste. Or use Follow Me on the waste as in the second example. That also works for things such as a router profile on the edge of a board.

Hold down the CTRL key while clicking the line with the Eraser tool.

You're welcome. Call me and I'll get you through the first method. You'll find that method good for a lot of things, too.

Modeling curved or Cabriole legs

Hi Y'all,
    I'm so glad to find this forum! I'm a frequent visitor to the Sketchup users forum and as a woodworker I'm thrilled to find a forum where issues particular to woodworking and Sketchup are discussed.
    I'm attaching a tutorial I've put together on making curved or Cabriole legs. I hope you find it usefull.

All the best,

Gideon
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gideon, thank you for putting this together, this is great. I do have one suggestion. That would be using the Sketch Up 'terms' to describe the functions. Even without, I think I followed along. Thanks again. Lars

Oh, and welcome to the creek. I think you will enjoy it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Yuval
    Hi Y'all,
    I'm so glad to find this forum! I'm a frequent visitor to the Sketchup users forum and as a woodworker I'm thrilled to find a forum where issues particular to woodworking and Sketchup are discussed.
    I'm attaching a tutorial I've put together on making curved or Cabriole legs. I hope you find it usefull.

All the best,

Gideon
    Welcome to the Creek There are a lot of really knowledgable people in here that are always willing to help . Your tutorial is really great and I do have a question. Obviously we would create a leg, then we would copy that leg, but the issue that I came across was how do you make sure that the legs are still in the same plane after you rotate them around. I made the leg and I tried to use the rotate tool but I kept picking different rotational axis, so as they were turned they moved to different locations. ( I hope I am explaining myself correctly)

Michael..."practice". (And I do understand your frustration...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gideon, welcome to the 'Creek! And THANK YOU for the excellent tutorial. While it's pointed at cabriole legs, it's good information so so many other shapes and components. In particular, starting out with the "block of wood" metaphor and working it similar to how you would in the shop is a terrific pointer!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Gideon. Glad to see you here on the Creek. Good tutorial, too. thanks for posting it.